Windows 10 upgrade

gop

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, quick question, as you know we have until the end of July to upgrade to windows 10. Now I don't particularly want to as I use mce. However if I was to upgrade to 10, then go back to 8.1 pro, would I, say a year down the line be able to upgrade again free and maintain my valid licence?

No, you either roll back within 30 days or your old Win 8 license gets deactivated. If you roll back then you can still upgrade for free within the offer period, but not after that without paying for the upgrade (unless MS change the offer terms).

Mark.

Once a given hardware has been updated to 10 and the 10 installation activated, it remains authorised for that hardware even after the July deadline.

(It has to be - because if you do a free upgrade with every intent on keeping it - but then for whatever reason have to do a factory reset, which will revert to shipping condition, you have to be able to re-do the upgrade to 10......MS don't want to stop you)

So yes, you can
(a) back up your 8 system
(b) update it to 10 before end July for free
(c) ensure 10 is activated
(d) revert to 8
(e) at a later date update the same system to 10 without cost.

FYI, though - there are some pretty good alternatives to MCE out there that will run on a 10 system, and (IMO at least) 10 is an improvement over 8.x

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom