• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Windows 10 Upgrade: why?

owen kric

Established Member
Hi,

Getting prompts to free-upgrade to Windows 10, why? I'm running Windows 7 without problems. I'd only upgrade to 10 if I was sure this platform was stable and bug free, so normally that would be in a year or so, or more. But I'm getting constant prompts to upgrade.

Is it a good idea to upgrade from 7 to 10 right now?

Thanks

sparky10

Prominent Member
Hi,

Getting prompts to free-upgrade to Windows 10, why? I'm running Windows 7 without problems. I'd only upgrade to 10 if I was sure this platform was stable and bug free, so normally that would be in a year or so, or more. But I'm getting constant prompts to upgrade.

Is it a good idea to upgrade from 7 to 10 right now?

Thanks
Hi, its your choice really, a lot of people are happy with it, there has been good and bad feedback about it, but you will find that with any system software, so its down to you really. If you want to stop the prompts then remove the 2 updates from the Windows updates section in the control panel, the 2 updates are: KB2952666 & KB3035583. Just remember to reinstall these before the 'free' 12 month update period expires.

Last edited:

andy1249

Distinguished Member
If you wait a year, you will have to pay full price for it, right now its free.

Ive upgraded 3 systems of my own, a htpc self built, no issues, a new lenovo yoga laptop, no issues, and my main self built system, which was a bloody nightmare because of very poor support for realtek network port.
That was fixed with the latest major revision though, ver 1511 I Think, the equivalent of service pack 1.
So now is the time to upgrade if your going to do it.

Its stable with no issues on all mygear at the moment.

MacrosTheBlack

Prominent Member
Could always do a good backup or clone. Upgrade to 10 and give it a try. If you don't like go back to 7 and at least your system is registered with Microsoft to go back to Windows 10 in the future.

Windows 7 is still a great OS

rickyt

Established Member
From what I have read on the forums , you may not have a choice. I did register my interest on some of my laptops for Windows 10 . The ones I did register have Windows 10 installed and are working fine but ,there was a Dell laptop I did not want 10 installed on as some of the 32bit XP business software running on it may not work with Windows 10 [I don't want to take the chance ]. But , Microsoft sneaked 10 on and it appeared in the BT.Windows folder .I have heard in some cases the pc/laptop automatically installs it some time on a re-boot . That's is nasty .

To counter act this I have deleted most of the files from the folder , some cannot be deleted , I am left with 1.27GB of data in the folder and turned off Windows update .
I do like Windows 10 dont get me wrong ,but the recent version of Computer Active states it has some hidden features like :spying on your settings ,hardware ,app choices ,Cortana activity and even keystrokes , Microsoft claim this snooping is for the greater good - law enforcement ,bug fixing and so on .
It's so nice of them to look after us .

drummerjohn

Prominent Member
From what I have read on the forums , you may not have a choice. I did register my interest on some of my laptops for Windows 10 . The ones I did register have Windows 10 installed and are working fine but ,there was a Dell laptop I did not want 10 installed on as some of the 32bit XP business software running on it may not work with Windows 10 [I don't want to take the chance ]. But , Microsoft sneaked 10 on and it appeared in the BT.Windows folder .I have heard in some cases the pc/laptop automatically installs it some time on a re-boot . That's is nasty .

To counter act this I have deleted most of the files from the folder , some cannot be deleted , I am left with 1.27GB of data in the folder and turned off Windows update .
I do like Windows 10 dont get me wrong ,but the recent version of Computer Active states it has some hidden features like :spying on your settings ,hardware ,app choices ,Cortana activity and even keystrokes , Microsoft claim this snooping is for the greater good - law enforcement ,bug fixing and so on .
It's so nice of them to look after us .

Windows 10 is downloaded but not installed. It will not automatically install itself. It requires user intervention.

Sufc1989

Established Member
I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to 10 on 2 of my work machines and was a massive improvement in stability and UI. I also upgraded our 8 year old del lap top from Windows 7 to 10 and to be honest it's breathed new life into this machine and is loads quicker with no issues to talk about..

ageinghippy

Established Member
Like you Owen I have no problems with Win 7. But now I've just about weaned myself off WMC on to Jriver thinks its time I should give it a go. It will go on my HTPC and I really don't want to stare at a 55" wall of tiles. Can you still have cool scenic desktops?

Trevor

ageinghippy

Established Member
Htpc home theatre personal computer
Jriver a mediacentre programme for vide/audio/tv
Audio is superb. TV could be easier to setup but it's better than it was
And I find GIZMO added brilliant for watching or listening to stuff via smartphone or tablet

owen kric

Established Member
Okay thanks - novelty has worn off - the search box is driving me nuts, have to press it multiple times to get rid of the help-bot which prevents me searching for files, and navigating to what was 'My Computer' is three times as complicated now >:-( Hopefully this is a learning curve which will smooth out before too long though - some of my computers are not compatible with 10 which I am quite relieved about at the moment ;)

DavidT

Prominent Member
Reading a few threads on the www that windows 10 is magically installing itself whether you want it or not.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom