Windows 10 Update Error 0x80004002

Witterings

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm gettig the above error with Windows updates and have googled and found a page that suggests using a download tool to repair it

Are these sites trustworhy and should I download anything from them or are there alternative sites I can use to get "safe" software that will do the same??

Are these sites trustworhy and should I download anything from them
Generally speaking no they are not, and no you shouldn’t. They are usually paid for ads masquerading as search results and will lure you to the site by placing the error code you searched for on standard link text.

I personally wouldn’t go near a site with that name resulting from a web search engine search.

or are there alternative sites I can use to get "safe" software that will do the same??
It is safest to only search MS offical sites or MS user forums to look for answers to these MS errors.

That one though looks to be related to specific updates and I think for drivers? If so I suggest you don’t get optional driver updates from Windows updates. I always look for official drivers from maker sites which is a bit of a faff but I spent too long over the years chasing my tail with Window Updates providing drivers that give issues.

Try a refresh - but first switch off optional driver updates.

otherwise can you give some details as to what update is giving the error?

I'd agree with outoftheknow; that URL (and likely any others like it) are simply ads for generic "fixit" tools that are either adware, or don't really work, and certainly don't fix the issue.

In my experience, the standard response from Microsoft on such things (reset WU components with various command-line actions) isn't effective either; either that doesn't work, or it works once but the problem recurs.

This is MY solution, and it works every time.

1: Use the
Create Windows 10 installation media section
on this page
to create installation media on a USB drive.
2: Take a system image using e.g. Macrium Reflect (just in case)
3: Reinstall Windows 10, selecting options to retain programs and files etc., from the USB media.
and that's it. It's not something to be afraid of and it doesn't (in my experience) cause any damage or data loss.

Brilliant and cheers for the replies, I've copied and pasted the updates that are causing issues

There were problems installing some updates, but we'll try again later.

Feature update to Windows 10, version 20H2 -Error 0x80004002

2020-10 Microsoft Edge Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64-based Systems (KB4584229) -Error 0x80004002

2021-05 Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64-based Systems (KB4023057) -Error 0x80004002

Do I even need these updates, I guess my issue is if they're not updating what else might it miss that could be critical.

I'll try working through the suggestions you've both made and thanks again.

Usually the big update can’t happen until the previous version is up to date. The failing 1909 updates are likely causing the 20H2 update. Do as LV426 says to install the latest as it will update on install. Keep files etc and it should go fine.

If you know the update you are trying to install, you can use Microsoft's own alternative website and try downloading it again then running a manual update

Microsoft Update Catalog

You will need to know what operating system you are using (32bit/64bit/Home/Pro/etc...)

But you maybe able to sort it before having to do anything more drastic

You may also find that looking hear might help to: How To Clear Windows Update Cache described by Seema

Note: If you are removing anything, it will be gone forever, so if you wish to keep it, back it up!

Last edited:
I think I'll look at doing as LV436 suggests ..... is there any advantage of using Macrium Reflect as opposed to what's built into windows??

First of all run the Windows update troubleshooter built into Windows. When that has finished reboot and see if the updates work then.

First of all run the Windows update troubleshooter built into Windows. When that has finished reboot and see if the updates work then.

I have tried that and it just says no error found, I haven't rebooted afterwards as I guessed it wouldn't make any difference.

I wonder if the issue goes back to having the Laptop rebuilt / new hard drive after it failed and if it's not seeing it as a genuie licence. It didn't come with a install CD when I bought it (PC World) but would have thought it'd show it as a licensing problem if that was the case.

I think I'll look at doing as LV436 suggests ..... is there any advantage of using Macrium Reflect as opposed to what's built into windows??
Reflect is just an example of (probably) a few offerings, and its free. But the reason I use it is that it makes this for you:

1: A portable version of Windows (Windows PE) plus a portable version of Reflect; these together are sufficient to start your PC (i.e you boot from the USB media) and run Reflect to restore the image from the image file (see below). It's there in the unlikely event that the update completely bricks the thing such that it won't boot into Windows proper.

2: A file containing a full image of the entire Hard Drive; all its contents, applications and Windows, including the various system and restore partitions and so on.

Together these can fully restore your system to exactly the same state it was in at the moment you took the image.

I guess that anything built in to Windows would need Windows in order to run - and, as I say, if it ends up unbootable.......

It's a good practice to get into whenever you do anything "major" - as I say, just in case!

You can check the status of your Windows licence:
Windows Key; type "settings" and in the settings page, search "activation".

Cheers again LV426 .... I'll definitely try it ... it may be a while as I'd rather do it when I have time rather than rushing it (may do it bit by bit in the interim) and will let you know how it goes.

Cheers for everyone else's help as well :)

I've done a system image and created installation media on a USB drive, when I try and run it, it goes to getting updates and just hangs at 20% and won't go any further, I.ve left it like that for an hour so far.
Wondering if it's all part of the same issue

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom