Windows 10 Update 1903 - Eye Care mode no longer works

psychopomp1

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,
After I updated my Lenovo Thinkpad X1 (5th Gen) notebook to Windows 10 1903, Eye Care Mode no longer works in Lenovo Vantage. I can select the toggle for Eye Care mode in Lenovo Vantage however it does nothing. I can also move the slider to a custom temperature, eg 4500k which is used in eye care mode however again this does nothing. I'm guessing something in Windows 10 update 1903 is overriding the colour temp settings. Any idea what they might be?
Cheers

Suspect this is why you have the problem:

"Currently Microsoft and Intel have identified a driver compatibility issue on devices configured with certain Intel display drivers. After updating to Window 10, version 1903, brightness settings may sometime appear as if changes applied took effect, yet the actual display brightness doesn't change."

They generally get fixed in order of importance/magnitude relevant to issues caused. The fact that intel are involved in this specific issue might mean sooner rather than later, but don't hold out on that as it isn't anything security wise. What are called Patch Tuesday releases are security fixes on which there is more intensive effort by MS as they are to do with security issues. In fact MS have an issue with it's Night Light feature, which I guess is similar to your eye care mode, on the insider builds we are seeing and they have made no progress, that can be seen, in fixing that so far.

As a stop gap you could try the f.lux app, which maybe does the same as the eye care mode, and works well.

f.lux

Last edited:
Just an update: there was a Windows update today and this has fixed my colour issues! Thank you for saving my eyes Microsoft :thumbsup:

Good to hear they seem to have sorted your issue but don't be surprised if you get the same problem again, caused by another fix that undoes yours. Such is life with releases at times.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom