Windows 10 random freezing in AHCI mode

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by subi, Apr 17, 2016.

1. subi

subi
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have this problem from start of using win 10.It is just random freezing system 3-5min ,and than I can work again.Someone who knows what to do to fix this ?

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,406
    You can't just change the mode of the SATA controller after windows is installed. Was it set to AHCI when you installed Windows 10?

3. subi

subi
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes,I know that.I installed win 10 in AHCI mode ,and for test I put it for few days to IDE.But to change it back to AHCI I changed win reg file.

4. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,482
    No good, and undoubtedly the source of your problem, you need to change to AHCI mode before install and stick with that. You cannot go switching between modes after install without problems. Reg hacks involving drive operating modes are highly unstable at best!

You,ll most likely have to re-install with Bios in the correct mode to fix your issues.

5. subi

subi
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Last what I did was manual install win7 ahci driver ,and until now I didn't have freezing ,but who knows.. Windows install some driver from 2006 ,and this one is 2009 version amd..

6. Abacus

Abacus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Vista and below will have problems if you change between IDE & AHCI mode, however Win 7 and above will automatically load the correct drivers, and after a re-start will be fully functional.

Sometimes the drivers can get corrupted (Or some program has installed their own version over them) which will cause problems, so just go into device manager and un-install the drivers AND DELETE them. Re-start (Make sure you are connected to the internet or have the Windows disc) and the standard Microsoft drivers will be installed, which should solve the problem.

DO NOT fiddle about with the registry as you will probably do more harm than good, however if you already have, use the System File Checker Tool to fix the system files first. https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/929833

Hope this helps

Bill

7. subi

subi
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Didn't do anything on my hand .Every single step was done with help from MS live support.