Windows 10 Pro - Media Creation Problem

chrisloudon

Hi all,

I have been trying to use the media creation tool from Microsoft to create a USB install media for Win 10 Pro but have the following problem.

All my PC's have Windows 10 pro 64bit installed and correctly activated so on any one of my PCs I downlaod and run the media creation tool and select 'Create installation media for another PC'. Once complete my USB stick is ready to use however when I double check the version of the media by using the command dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:E:\sources\install.esd /index:1 it reports it as name : Windows 10 Home.....

Am I missing something? Why not Pro?

Thanks

Chris

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
I had an issue with something similar once where creation tool. Some it how downloaded home and installed it where my windows pro key would not work. At that point I knew something was wrong although I was not aware "Home" had been installed until Windows 10 was up and running.

To remedy this, I pointed the download to the DVD Rom drive I was going to use (choose 64 bit for a different computer), then burnt once the download was done and then I just mounted. I've never had another issue since doing it this way round although I've also never allowed windows to download to HDD since either.

Last edited:

chrisloudon

Thanks for the info Shane.

Unfortunately I don't have a physical writer so can't test your suggestion.

I'll keep digging and see what turns up.

Thanks

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
If your PC has USB boot ability, then go that way (8Gb key drive should be large enough - that way you can load both 32 and 64 bit versions for an alternative PC. This will give you the ability to boot reinstall Window 10 on any PC with a valid product key).

If you have lost your Key and it's an OEM version, it shouldn't ask for the key as their seems to be an algorithm housed within the Bios (as far as I can tell) which allows the Key to work without you having one.

Once your PC is working, if you'd like to retrieve the key, simply enter

wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey

to retrieve it via Command Prompt (CMD)

If your unsure how to access the windows 10 boot options, simply hold down the Shift key on your keyboard and restart the PC, then enter into advanced options and Command Prompt (CMD) is there. This solution will not work though if Windows will not boot

To create a USB boot disc, read more here

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.
Top Bottom