Windows 10 PC can't display to LG 4K TV when routed via AV receiver

itm

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been using my Windows 10 media centre PC with my Onkyo TX-NR515 receiver and Samsung UE55ES7000 (1080p) TV for 10 years without problems.
This week I upgraded my TV to an LG OLED65C24LA (4K), and connected it up in exactly the same way. However the new TV will not display the video signal from the PC. Using VNC to access the PC I can see that the display resolution has been (correctly) set to 4K (3840 x 2160). I've tried other resolutions - including the 1080p setting that I was using with the old TV, but the new TV will not display it, no matter which resolution I choose.

If I bypass the Onkyo receiver, and connect the PC directly to the TV's HDMI port, it displays correctly straight away (at 3840 x 2160).

Any idea why the TV can't display the PC's video signal if it's routed via the Onkyo receiver?

Could this be a cable issue ? When connected via the AVR, are both HDMI cables definitely capable of carrying a 4K signal at your chosen refresh rate ?

This probably wouldn't have been an issue at 1080p but could be for 4K depending on the refresh rate you've chosen. You'll get away with certain older cables @ 30Hz but will need Premium high speed (HDMI 2.0, 14.4Gbit/s) cables for 4K@60Hz and Ultra high speed (HDMI 2.1, 42.6Gbit/s) cables for 4K@75Hz and over.

There's a useful table here : HDMI - Wikipedia

Not working at lower resolution means bandwidth issues are unlikely.

Does the TV actually display a no signal message or is something else happening like a blank screen?

Make sure any HDR is off.

If your receiver is as old as 10 years as your post implies does it even support 4K or 4K pass through?

Check the max resolution and refresh the receiver can handle, at 10+ years old it might not take anything higher than 1080p 60Hz so if you have either a higher res or refresh set on the pc it may not pass through the receiver.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom