Windows 10 PC 5.1 PCM to Marantz NR1711 via HDMI, surround not working

rlevis

Novice Member
I've just purchased this AVR. Was previously using a computer 5.1 speaker system which worked OK but sound quality was not so good.

I have the HDMI device in Windows configured to 5.1 surround, but doing a sound Test in Windows, the audio being sent to the back speakers are coming out the front. AVR shows "Multi Channel In" but clicking the Info button on the remote shows the rear speakers (TML & TMR) are not being used.

Using MediaPortal for TV and video playback with Dolby or DTS soundtracks work fine in all speakers, it's just sending PCM 5.1, the AVR appears to be switching to stereo. Is there some setting to change this behavior?

Thanks!

Jay53

Unless I am missing something in a 5.1 config TML and TMR are not used.

Speakers should be connected to L, C, R, LS and RS plus Sub.

Or do you have a 3.1.2 speaker config?

On info screen it should show input channel configuration as well as speaker output configuration.

rlevis

Novice Member
Thanks for your reply. I guess I'm not so experienced with the speaker arrangements. I have in fact only 4 speakers, with 2 large speakers at the front, and 2 in the ceiling just behind the couch. I assumed the "rear" speakers should be connected to the Back L/R connectors on the AVR but perhaps they should be in the Side L/R.

I sort of assumed the AVR would put the side audio into the rear speakers if there were none configured, but perhaps not.

Regardless of that, I set Windows to output 7.1, so all 8 channels are being sent to the AVR, and the Info button shows it is receiving 8 channels but still the TML & TMR indicators in the Info screen show as inactive, and the "Test" button in Windows cycles through all 8 speakers and all play out the front speakers.

So to me, it looks like a fault in the AVR assuming PCM to be stereo and not multi channel, although the front panel says Multi In. I'll move the rear speakers to the side connectors on the AVR and see what happens, but based on the 7.1 test, I don't see that making any difference for PCM.

rlevis

Novice Member
I did that, switched the back channel wires over to the side channels and amazingly that worked! Windows set to 5.1 calls the surround speakers as "Back" speakers but everywhere else they are called Side. That was my confusion I think. In the Windows speaker test area, the visual shows Side speakers only when 7.1 is enabled.

Jay53

Glad you have it sorted.

There are older references in 5.1 refering (prior to 6.1/7.1 formats) to surround speakers as rear surround which isn't strictly true as they ideally should be at the about 110 degrees looking forward from main listening position and same height as front left/centre/surround. They only move to about 90 degrees i.e. side when a 7.1 setup is required and then to differentiate the two extra speakers are referred to as back surround and placed around 120-135degrees from MLP

If you only have 4 speakers and the speakers in the ceiling are acting as your surround speakers as you've know found they need to be connected to surround left/right avr connections and all other speakers set to none.

At least you can rest knowing there isn't anything wrong with the avr now :)

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom