Question Windows 10 networking

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by cjx, Jul 21, 2017.

1. cjx

cjx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +364
    At work I get lumbered with sorting out the office pc's as I ahave a basic knowledge. I usually manage to sort things out but on this occasion I'm stumped. Im not really a networking guy.

We have about 15 pc's all connected via ethernet to the bt router. Theyve always been able to see each other and also the nas drive we use but this week after adding a new pc I am unable to see anything apart from 2 pc's on every one Ive checked. Thats not such a problem but I do need to get the new pc to see the nas drive. Ive mapped the drive to all the other pc's but cannot fathom how to see it on this one. Ive googled and tried a load of fixes with no avail , however I havent asked this question anywhere else.

Hope that makes sense. :(

2. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,743
    If you physically disconnect the new PC's from the network, do the others start working normally?

How have you allocated the PC's IP addresses? (static, DHCP..? )

3. cjx

cjx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +364
    As a novice in networking I've let the router deal with all that. I can see all the pc ip addresses I the router menu and ping them from cmd but just cannot see them in networking in Windows

4. cjx

cjx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +364
    Turned them so off yesterday and still had same reukg even when there was a couple turned on. Didnt see ewch other.

5. Chester

Chester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +730
    First and foremost, I HIGHLY recommend you use either a static IP address in your NAS, or a reserved IP address in the NAS. Someone else can tell you if the BT router can reserve addresses, but it should do.

I'm hazarding a guess that you don't really need the PCs to share resources, except perhaps printers. Use static or reserved addresses for those as well.

This then presents you with a choice. You can then browse these devices by IP address ( \\192.168.1.10 as an example) or you can edit the 'hosts' file to fix a name to an IP address in each computer. You should be able to use a search engine to find out how to do that. This is not the 'proper' way to fix this, but it's probably the easiest. Windows relies on LLMNR without a DNS server, but frankly it's unreliable as you're finding.

Ensure each computer is in the same workgroup (edit the computer name to check this). Where Windows users are authenticated between computers, ensure their names and passwords are identical. Do this for all accounts on the NAS as well. If you're not using passwords, start doing it now! Go to Services and check the Computer Browser service is started. How is the Windows Firewall configured? They should be using the Private profile, definitely not Public. They can switch by themselves!

If you'd like all of this stuff to 'behave' itself better, be centrally managed, and offer more control and visibility over your environment, as well as improved security (Group Policy and Endpoint Security management for example), consider hiring the services of a local IT company to deploy Windows Server 2016 Essentials. If you prefer to stay with your NAS for file storage, this could be a very small box (in performance terms) indeed. However this could be used as part of a backup strategy instead. If you're not thinking about business continuity, it's time to start.

Hope this is useful.

6. cjx

cjx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +364
    Wow, thanks for the detailed reply.

I will go through this on Monday so fingers crossed.

I will say though, that the Nas has always had the same ip address as I've browsed to it before. It's the same address now but for some reason can't seem to get to it.

7. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,743
    It can. I forget the exact language, but somewhere in the list of allocated DHCP leases there's a button to click to "always assign this address to this device."

I agree with Chester that it's a very good idea to do this or all you devices that provide "services" such as NAS, printers, scanners, etc.