Windows 10 Instant Search Alternative

Witterings

Established Member
Reaction score
With Windows 7 ..... whatever folder you were in, if you used the search function at the top right hand side of the window it would start to instantly search and give you results as soon as you typed the 1st letter narrowing the results the more letters you typed .... Windows 10 doesn't.

I know there are various 3rd party tools like Everything (and many others) but they search the whole PC rather than the folder you're in and it's subfolders.
I spent a few hours playing with Everything last night and you an change the home page to search a drive so it prefills say g: or you can add a bookmark that does pretty much the same BUT and this may sound trivial to many but I use this function at leaast 50 times every single day at work ... if you then want to do a 2nd search you have to carefully backspace so you don't remove the g: in the address bar or whatever drive you're searching ..... I also go to several different folders where I want to limit the search to just that folder or subfolders to narrow the results.

To put it into perspective of how much harder it makes my job, I upgraded my work PC to Windows 10 and when I found it was missing this function I rolled it back to Windoows 7.

To save me having to try every single one of them does anybody know of any 3rd party software that does this?

The instant search was present in win10 but has been removed from newest version of win10, a person here claims this restores it

I had exactly the same problem. I solved it this way:

Open the Registry Editor. Find the key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
1) Go to "ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin" value , double click on it and set the data to 0 (zero).
2) Go to "EnableLUA" value double click on it and set the data to 0 (zero). If the value "EnableLUA" does not exist you must create it with right click as DWORD (32-bit).

Reboot your system to activate the changes.

Do so at your own risk of course.

No idea on alternatives for search in windows but you could try Opus directory which is an alternative for windows explorer and has its own search bar system.

The instant search was present in win10 but has been removed from newest version of win10, a person here claims this restores it

Do so at your own risk of course.

No idea on alternatives for search in windows but you could try Opus directory which is an alternative for windows explorer and has its own search bar system.

Thank you I've done that and it's worked but Murphy's law I have 1 other issue, I'm using an encrypted drive and Windows Indexer won't see the drive so the searches are really slow.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom