Windows 10 install questions

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by doofus3000, Oct 12, 2017.

1. doofus3000

doofus3000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Soon I will be upgrading my pc, just the mobo, cpu and ram, I'm keeping everything else.
    I'm told that sometimes plugging in your existing hard drive with windows on it will just work, but sometimes you'll need to do a clean install, which I think is probably the better thing to do.
    Problem is I don't have the windows 10 disc, the pc came with windows 7 and there is a sticker on the side with the windows 7 product code (but again I don't have the disc). I upgraded to windows 10 when it was free.

Some questions:
    1). How do I go about doing a clean install of windows 10 without the disc?
    2). Is it possible to create a disc or a usb from my current installation?
    3). What about the windows 10 code, how do I find what it is for my copy?

Any help much appreciated!

2. jonnyc

jonnyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,682
  3. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,386
    1 You can use your w7 product code for a clean install of w10. This is the code for your w10 upgrade and it will be stored on a microsoft database.
    Should you do a clean install right now it will activate automatically as soon as you go online.

2 from your current installtion, no. You can however use the microsoft media creation tool with your existing setup to make install media for a rebuild.
    Windows 10 Media Creation Tool: Create Installation Media

Download Windows 10 Media Creation Tool

The big issue you may have is that a motherboard upgrade is fairly major and the microsoft database may see this as a new PC and refuse to activate.
    In which case just call microsoft and tell them you had to replace some parts, normally they will give you a code to activate.

Note: regarding trying to get your current hard drive to boot with a new motherboard, its highly unlikely that will work without some issues.
    Motherboards need lots of particular drivers , if it boots at all it will still be very unstable.

4. jonnyc

jonnyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,682
    Im horrible to windows 10 i changed cpu from amd to intel motherboard and ram from ddr3 to ddr4 and chanced it without a fresh install and was surprised it worked. Might not work but I've found 10 quite robust tbh maybe just got lucky.

5. Abacus

Abacus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    Try you hardware to see if it works with the new Motherboard, as it should download the appropriate drivers, (Win 10 is pretty tolerant compared to earlier versions) if not, then do a fresh install.

In all cases you will need to call Microsoft (It should be a Freephone number) to re-activate it, as it will register as a new computer on their database. (It’s pretty painless)

Hope this helps

Bill

6. stack1

stack1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    new mobo, cpu and ram err thats a new machine and the OEM from your old case will not work you will have to buy a new windows 10 license

7. doofus3000

doofus3000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Again, 3 conflicting answers to the same question! Seems very difficult to get a definitive solution on this!
    Some say plugging in the hard drive 'as is' will work, some say a clean install needed but the current product key will work, some say a whole new copy of windows needed! Very confused!
    If I can at all avoid the cost of a new copy of windows I'd like to.

8. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,386
    Extremely amateurish and no IT person will recommend this.
    There will be issues.

Your old key will work, but you will have to contact microsoft and fib a little, your “motherboard failed” or something like that.
    They are very accommodating to necessary “repairs”.

Technically and “by the book” a new motherboard, cpu and ram is a new PC, so If your an honest injun, a new copy of w10 is required if you dont want to try contacting microsoft as above.

9. Abacus

Abacus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    We are talking home user here, not business, any IT professional will help the user out as much as possible to get their programs and codes back. (Once programs and codes are sorted it is simple to do a refresh with Windows 10 to bring it back up to scratch)

Of course if you are a by the book person (And couldn’t care less about the consumer) then you will wipe and install afresh straight away, and to hell with the consumer. (Fortunately there are still human beings in the IT industry, rather than just those with jobs worth mentality)

Bill

10. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,386
    Were not talking about a faulty computer here.
    OP has a working unit and is planning to upgrade.
    There is no problem with lost files.
    We are talking about the best way to complete the upgrade.

Any “ IT professional” will assess the situation and gather pertinent information before diving in all guns blazing, which it would seem you have failed to do here.

11. jonnyc

jonnyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,682
  12. Delvey

Delvey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,692
    The windows creation tool can have issues with SanDisk USB drives. If so download a program called RUFUS

13. alphaomega16

alphaomega16
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,339
    If you do have a USB available make a bootable drive with RUFUS and Windows 10 and make a folder also after it has made it and put all drivers for your new machine on it, copy folder to desktop if you end up putting a clean install on.

If you do try the HDD anyway and have no immediate issues they may crop up so being prepared with the USB will save a lot of time and hassle, Windows 7 for me takes less than 5 minutes to install from USB.

Even on my dads machine windows installed in the time it took his old system to even shut down lol, he loves his new pc.