Windows 10 - How do you stop it installing

nheather

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
My son has Windows 7 on his laptop and is returning to university tomorrow to begin a hectic 6 weeks of revision and exams.

A dialog has popped up on his computer saying

Windows 10 is available for free for a short time. and then offers three options

Upgrade Now
Upgrade Tonight
Choose Date - and lets you pick a date out to Thursday 28th April

These are all crap. What we want is don't install but that isn't an option.

This is the most risky time to do the upgrade - we can't have his laptop screwed up.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Nigel

Is Windows 7 still able to get patches, to reduce vulnerability? What I mean is, is this OS still supported?

Are some programmes that he uses not Win10 compliant?

What reason do you have not to update to Win10?

I imagine it's the risk it goes wrong and the laptop ends up at worse not working or at best lots of extra fiddling about work in a revision/exam period.

Security updates for Win 7 are still being produced until 2020.

Is Windows 7 still able to get patches, to reduce vulnerability? What I mean is, is this OS still supported?

Are some programmes that he uses not Win10 compliant?

Put it like this. What if you have a really important job to do over the next 4 weeks. Your computer is essential. The outcome could effect the rest of your life.

Would you chhose this time to update your computer.

Or would you wait until after the important 4 weeks?

My thought is that the dialog is asking to choose an option. What if you don't choose one and close the dialog. Logic would say that an upgrade time hasn't been selected so it shouldn't be applied - but does Microsoft follow logic?

Cheers,

Nigel

Is it what is on the laptop (back up) or the fact that the update may make the laptop unusable?

Is it what is on the laptop (back up) or the fact that the update may make the laptop unusable?

The latter. There are a number of maths and engineering tools and simulators like matlab, simulink, autocad and more.

Will these work with Windows 10, who knows?

Cheers,

Nigel

The latter. There are a number of maths and engineering tools and simulators like matlab, simulink, autocad and more.

Will these work with Windows 10, who knows?

Cheers,

Nigel

Could always check compatibility with W10 before upgrading.
It (for me) hasn't thrown any issues up from my W7 pro to W10 and programs have remained unchanged, or updated.

When I upgraded to Windows 10 my Radio Control Flught Simulator stopped working.

My wife left her laptop on for several days when she went down with flu. When she came back to it Windows 10 had upgraded without her permission. The version of Sage that she uses to administer the accounts for a couple of local charities no longer worked.

Microsoft advise is that you must check compatibility before upgrading but interesting that she never agreed to the upgrade, MS just chose to do it.

We managed to get both working in the end but no help at all from either the suppliers or MS.

Haven't got time to do that with my son - he is returning to university tomorrow, he has aspergers and would freak out if stuff stopped working. I wouldn't be around to help.

Cheers,

Nigel

Google your laptop model and Windows 10 and see what comes up. I couldn't upgrade my wife's Samsung laptop until I swapped out the wireless card. My own Dell Zino plays up with audio output and often I need to restart to get the audio to work, which is no big deal but annoying non the less.

From everything you are saying, I see no reason to risk going to W10 when W7 is working for you. I would ignore the pop up for a month, or set the date for a months time.

From everything you are saying, I see no reason to risk going to W10 when W7 is working for you. I would ignore the pop up for a month, or set the date for a months time.

That's his worry though - his wife's upgraded seemingly without asking first - so how does one guarantee it? Especially when the upgrade dialog he saw only says 'when?' not 'do you want to?'

That's his worry though - his wife's upgraded seemingly without asking first - so how does one guarantee it? Especially when the upgrade dialog he saw only says 'when?' not 'do you want to?'

You're right, sorry I missed that post somehow.

And the latest date offered is the End of April, in the middle of his son's revision schedule :)

And the latest date offered is the End of April, in the middle of his son's revision schedule :)

Which is odd as the free update is good until July.

Last edited:
A few weeks ago I had the laptop on and went outside for a few minutes. Came back in and it was in the process of installing Windows 10 by itself! Luckily no problems whatever with it so far, except I had to turn off an "integrate with Windows" option in Spybot in order to get Windows Defender working.

Registry change is the easiest. Systrat icon remains but it won't work (this is my experience of a domain environment)

Put it like this. What if you have a really important job to do over the next 4 weeks. Your computer is essential. The outcome could effect the rest of your life.

Would you chhose this time to update your computer.

Or would you wait until after the important 4 weeks?

My thought is that the dialog is asking to choose an option. What if you don't choose one and close the dialog. Logic would say that an upgrade time hasn't been selected so it shouldn't be applied - but does Microsoft follow logic?

Cheers,

Nigel
You are right. I wonder if pushing it back 4 weeks will then invoke another 4 week delay option in a months time?

It's a tricky one....

I have windows 7 on one pc and never seen anything to do with windows 10 upgrade. I do have windows update disabled which might be why.

You are right. I wonder if pushing it back 4 weeks will then invoke another 4 week delay option in a months time?

It's a tricky one....

Well it's a little longer than 4 weeks. His exams finish early June and then he is finished until October. So plenty of time to research and do the upgrade then.

Cheers,

Nigel

You can install and roll it back. So if you have time try it out.

Ok, can't you use msconfig? Type it into the run box and then look to see if the Windows 10 update is loading on start up and then disable it?

Or just disable it as mentioned above until you are ready.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom