Windows 10 DNLA not seen by Network Devices

PlasmaNewbie

Hi,

I appreciate that this is NOT a PC support forum, but I'm asking the question here incase anyone else has had this issue. I will look elsewhere for answers and if unsuccessful, reinstall the PC from scratch.

I've been using windows media streaming for many years and on different PC's without a single issue. I've got about 20 flac albums that I've bought from bandcamp and a couple I've ripped. So this is not a major issue, its annoying me.

I've just got a new PC, which came with windows 10 preinstalled. I would normally do a re-installed, but there was a minor hardware issue (GPU), and by the time I'd got that resolved I'd passed the point where a re-install made sense.

The issue is, that I've set up media streaming (100% I've done everything required), and in the network setup I can see the remote DNLA client devices listed and they are allowed access. In media player the albums are listed and I've ticked the other devices box.

But my box is invisible to my devices. ie its not showing with no content, its just not showing at all. Media player is finding my Marantz ND8006 and listing that as a DLNA server, so I know the network is good and the devices are talking.... I still have the old PC, and I can't see any difference in setup...

I think the issue is not actually the media server itself, but a network issue maybe. I've tried turning off the firewall etc.

Has anyone else had a similar issue? As I've said I don't need help on how to set it up, I've followed that and its not working for some other reason! If anyone is interested the process is simple and is available here as well as many other places.

Any suggestions welcome :)

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
I would never rely on Windows to serve content & always install proper DLNA/UPnP software. I still use Logitech Sqeezebox so use their LMS, but an alternative often recommended is MinimServer.

Appreciate this doesn't directly answer your question but it sould be a quick, free, painless solution.

Upvote 0

rednotdead

Long time since I've dealt with windows clients but do they still do that thing where they ask you the type of network you're joining then restrict what can be seen/shared etc?

Are the devices cabled up or WIFI?

Upvote 0

PlasmaNewbie

I would never rely on Windows to serve content & always install proper DLNA/UPnP software. I still use Logitech Sqeezebox so use their LMS, but an alternative often recommended is MinimServer.

Appreciate this doesn't directly answer your question but it sould be a quick, free, painless solution.
Before I used the DNLA server, I was using squeezeserver (LMS) ! But I sort of reverted back to vinyl, and ditched my itunes library (which was ripped CD's).

I think there may be an underlying issue , which could affect other services in the future.. So a reinstall is the best approach.

Upvote 0

PlasmaNewbie

Long time since I've dealt with windows clients but do they still do that thing where they ask you the type of network you're joining then restrict what can be seen/shared etc?

Are the devices cabled up or WIFI?
Its wifi, but the old PC is on the same network and works fine. In theory its identical other than IP and name...

Upvote 0

the groundsman

I had an issue with a new Windows 10 install where it kept reverting my home network to public rather than private which made connections challenging.

Upvote 0

PlasmaNewbie

I had an issue with a new Windows 10 install where it kept reverting my home network to public rather than private which made connections challenging.
I thought I had checked that, but I will double check later. Its obvious I've missed something :) Thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0

Cebolla

Yes, make sure the network you are using is set up as a private network on the Windows computer otherwise any UPnP/DLNA device applications running on the computer, including the Windows DLNA server, will be prevented by default from being discovered on the network.

Also, I'm with @RBZ5416 here & recommend installing one of the decent music file dedicated UPnP/DLNA media server's mentioned (another is Asset UPnP), rather than enabling the built-in Windows DLNA server if you want a semblance of control of how the music files are being streamed. The Windows DLNA server has been known to unexpectedly transcode lossless files to lossy MP3.

Upvote 0

PlasmaNewbie

Yes, make sure the network you are using is set up as a private network on the Windows computer otherwise any UPnP/DLNA device applications running on the computer, including the Windows DLNA server, will be prevented by default from being discovered on the network.

Also, I'm with @RBZ5416 here & recommend installing one of the decent music file dedicated UPnP/DLNA media server's mentioned (another is Asset UPnP), rather than enabling the built-in Windows DLNA server if you want a semblance of control of how the music files are being streamed. The Windows DLNA server has been known to unexpectedly transcode lossless files to lossy MP3.
Thanks for the suggestions. It's 100% on a private network, and I can achieve 50% of what I wanted to do via network shares (Bluesound) rather than DLNA. I only have a handful of files, and I'm intrigued as to why its not working.

I have a theory, if correct my original suggestion of a re-install will sort it.

I've been thinking about using a small NAS box + plex (??) , but all my stuff is wifi not wired. And I can't physically plus a NAS box into my router, as its in a small cubboard under the stairs where BT comes in and there is literally no room.

Thanks to everyone for all of the feedback, I will try a few thinks and either give up or re-install :)

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom