Windows 10 Boot Problem

mr starface

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have a PC at home on Win 10 that has developed a boot issue and after much googling still no idea how to resolve.

It boot up., bios appears and then the Win 10 loading screen but it never actually boots. It will then go into windows recovery after 3 failed attempts and then I see the recovery loading screen but then the screen just goes black with a mouse cursor I can move.

So I tried booting from a usb stick with the Win10 recovery software on it - again it then show the recovery loading screen but then the screen goes blue (better than black I guess) and I have the mouse cursor only.

Also tried unplugging everything except the power and hdmi cable and even removing the gpu and using theonboard graphics but makes no difference.

Any help appreciated!

Boot into safe mode?

I couldn't find a way to get into safe mode, as I couldn't get into windows or the repair menu when booting up.

As usual with windows, I tried again today after not touching it yesterday and it booted up first time.

That's great but am now paranoid about shutting it down again as there s clearly an error somewhere, anyone know any repairs/checks I can do whilst in windows which may help?

Got the BSOD minutes after posting the above so clearly something not right!

I'm not sure how the Windows recovery USB works these days but I'd guess it's probably using Windows PE, which is an OS in it's own right.

If that's failing to load and you're getting different major errors (boot failure, BSOD) at random times then that'd suggest hardware failure, possibly causing data corruption

I'd try different combinations of memory sticks and slots, as well as a different drive if you have one.

That's great but am now paranoid about shutting it down again as there s clearly an error somewhere, anyone know any repairs/checks I can do whilst in windows which may help?
Initially run system file checker
In the start search box type cmd, then choose run as administrator
in the command prompt window that opens type
sfc /scannow
This will check and replace or repair any corrupted system files
Leave the Command Prompt window open until the command completes, which may take some time. If everything is fine, you’ll see the message “Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.”
If you see a “Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them” message, try restarting your PC in Safe Mode and running the command again.

If the SFC command fails to run properly or can’t replace a corrupted file with the correct one, the DISM command can sometimes fix the underlying Windows system and make SFC run correctly.

To run the DISM command open a Command Prompt with administrative privileges as before. Type the following command exactly as shown and then press Enter to have DISM check your Windows component store for corruption and automatically fix any problems it finds.

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

If you keep getting errors despite repairing the system, then almost certainly you have a hardware problem, bad RAM, HDD CPU or Motherboard etc
David

Last edited:
Just a thought! Have you tried reseating the CPU. I know it sounds nuts but we have had similar and we ended up taken the CPU out cleaning and reapplying and refitting the cooler and it worked..... No idea why but that fixed it sometimes.

Also try (if you have one) another power supply.

Hope it helps.... Especially the reapplying thermal paste.

Ice

Thanks all am looking into all of the above, fingers crossed!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom