Windows 10 Battery Problem

kingslynnfc7

Hi,

In the last few weeks ive noticed that my battery is no longer charging on my windows 10 laptop. The laptop is about year old so im sure it can't be the battery. Ive taken it out put it back in and still does not want to charge. Has anyone else come accross this problem?

When I hover over the battery icon it says plugged in, not charging.

thanks

MarkE19

Laptop batteries are considered as a consumable - they do wear out quickly, especially on a cheaper laptop and more so if the laptop is used always plugged in. So it could well be that the battery is just not holding a charge any more.

Does the laptop work with the battery removed and just plugged in? If so then it looks more like a battery fault. You could try removing the batterry and power cable and holding the power button in for about 10 seconds. Put the battery back in and see if the laptop boots up, then try to get it to charge.

Mark.

ObsidianEclipse

If the battery was fully depleted for some reason (I'm assuming it's a lithium based one) then it won't charge as they become unstable and can explode. It's unlikely this would be the case though as traditionaly when a lithium battery registers 0% on a phone or laptop it actually has around 30-40% capacity. Unless the battery was drained and left for a prolonged period of time and dropped below the safe limits. Personally I'd look at trying a new battery, there are methods of resurrecting dead batteries but the liklihood of a fault and your house going up in flames is worth the cost of a new one.

MarkE19

they become unstable and can explode......

.......there are methods of resurrecting dead batteries but the liklihood of a fault and your house going up in flames is worth the cost of a new one
What utter rubbish and scare mongering :facepalm:

If this was the case then they would be illegal and therefore it would not be possible to buy this type of battery. Health & safety rules would not allow something dangerous to be sold to the public.
Yes there have been some reports of lithium batteries overheating, but this is only a small amount of cases and definitely not anything I would lose sleep worrying about.

Mark.

MacrosTheBlack

Had a friend with a Dell XPS 13" laptop recently with a battery issue. Turned out to be the power adapter had some sort of chip that was at fault. So whilst it would provide power to use the laptop when connected it would not charge the laptop battery. Opening up the power settings in Windows would show the same message "Plugged in, Not charging".

So see if you can borrow the same kind of power adapter from someone to test that? Very important you ensure the adapter's designed to work with your model of laptop. Correct input voltage and amps and of course the same connector. These details should be written on your current power adapter.

ObsidianEclipse

What utter rubbish and scare mongering :facepalm:

If this was the case then they would be illegal and therefore it would not be possible to buy this type of battery. Health & safety rules would not allow something dangerous to be sold to the public.
Yes there have been some reports of lithium batteries overheating, but this is only a small amount of cases and definitely not anything I would lose sleep worrying about.

Mark.
Selecting extracts out of context to my post and saying it's rubbish doesn't make it so. In the context I've put it it makes perfect sense. All sorts of substances can cause injury if they are used inappropriately, it doesn't mean that they should be made illegal. I've worked with batteries in a professional environment for years as an electrical technician in a theatre - we've had numerous batteries explode over the years when they weren't treated with the respect they require. All I was suggesting to the poster is not to stress a battery by using inappropriate methods which might override any safety features built into them.

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
The Dreamliner LiIon batteries had well documented issues with catching fire, as did some laptop batteries (The MacBook if I remember correctly) . They also have to use special shipping labels.

H120ion - Caution Lithium Ion Battery Label - 126mm x 110mm

Due to the low internal resistance they can deliver high currents for a short period if short circuited.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom