Windows 10 auto hdr missing?

SnakePlissken006

Novice Member
Hi, I recently got a gaming pc and hdr looks good. I was interested in the auto hdr feature that makes old games into hdr but the option seems missing on my pc. In display settings then windows hd colour settings. There should be a slider at the bottom of the page here that enables auto hdr but it's missing from my computer. I even signed up to the Windows insider programme and updated pc but it's still not there. Doesn't anyone know why this is? Thanks

drinkturps

SnakePlissken006

Novice Member
Is it enabled on your monitor? Have a look here...

Hi my tv definitely supports hdr. I'm using the 2021 sony x900h with hdmi 2.1. The problem is with a new feature in the windows insider programme that's called auto hdr. There should be an option for it below the hdr settings to toggle it on. This converts non hdr games into hdr. It was first released on series x in November.

next010

Distinguished Member
Are you running YCC 10-bit 420/422 from your GPU if its HDMI 2.0 based and at 60hz for HDR output ?

Other than that the insider program is a testing program, any number of bugs could be interfering with the feature appearing. All you can do is file a feedback report in the insider program and hope that it gets fixed by time of release.

SnakePlissken006

Novice Member
Ok this is strange it seems I can't change colour from 8 bit in nvidia control panel. My tv and gpu both definitely supports 10 bit. In using 3070 and sony x900h TV which is capable of 4k 120 and in using hdmi 2.1. I've tried lowering to 30hz but 10 bit is still greyed out. Tried switching cables to hdmi 2.0 top but nothing. Also tried changing settings in scaling options like gpu scaling, toggled hdr on and off in windows display settings but nothing. My gpu drivers are up to date too so I have no idea why it won't let me choose 10 bit.

SnakePlissken006

Novice Member
Are you running YCC 10-bit 420/422 from your GPU if its HDMI 2.0 based and at 60hz for HDR output ?

Other than that the insider program is a testing program, any number of bugs could be interfering with the feature appearing. All you can do is file a feedback report in the insider program and hope that it gets fixed by time of release.
Just tried lowering the resolution and both 120hz and 10, 12 bit options are available but when I switch back to native resolution 3840X2160 they just disappear. My tv 100% supports full 2160p 120hrz and 10 bit hdr so it's a software option but I can't seem to fix it.

SnakePlissken006

Novice Member
Just tried lowering the resolution and both 120hz and 10, 12 bit options are available but when I switch back to native resolution 3840X2160 they just disappear. My tv 100% supports full 2160p 120hrz and 10 bit hdr so it's a software option but I can't seem to fix it.
Ok just realised it was a setting on my tv. For hdmi 2.1 there's an enhanced version and an enhanced dolby vision version. I just changed it from enhanced dolby vision now 2160p 10 bit and 120hrz options are available. Back to my original problem though the new auto hdr feature still won't appear.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom