Windows 10 and Office

happy_2008

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just looking at upgrading my computer to Windows 10 but im wondering how some sellers on Ebay are able to sell Windows 10 and Office Pro for as little as £5?

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
They're genuine copies, but you're essentially going to be a 'business' running your 'company' under their purvue.

For me that means iffy privacy, because as a tenant of theirs they have essentially full access to your tenancy.

I've not looked in to all of this fully, though, so think of it as heresay for now ... but that's how it plays out in my head.

If you look deeply enough, there are plans that you can get (if you absolutely must have 365) that mean that they can work alongside your local, full, copy of 2019. Sure, lump sum investment, but then you have the local version for life, and are paying pennies for the full online versions.

They're genuine copies, but you're essentially going to be a 'business' running your 'company' under their purvue.

For me that means iffy privacy, because as a tenant of theirs they have essentially full access to your tenancy.

I've not looked in to all of this fully, though, so think of it as heresay for now ... but that's how it plays out in my head.

If you look deeply enough, there are plans that you can get (if you absolutely must have 365) that mean that they can work alongside your local, full, copy of 2019. Sure, lump sum investment, but then you have the local version for life, and are paying pennies for the full online versions.
That's true if you buy one of the keys for Office that is really an Office 365 key.

It isn't true of the Windows 10 licenses, nor the actual Office 2016/2019 keys - they tend to come from MSDN accounts and so are perfectly legitimate keys for the individual software applications with no privacy implications, except the keys shouldn't be being sold like this. For Windows 10 and Office 2016 & 2019 (not Office 365) keys, in terms of privacy, they are no different to the keys you'd purchase legitimately.

Just looking at upgrading my computer to Windows 10 but im wondering how some sellers on Ebay are able to sell Windows 10 and Office Pro for as little as £5?

What version of Windows are you running at the moment?

If you have Windows 7 or later, you should still be able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free with a bit more effort than used to be possible via the upgrade app: How to upgrade to Windows 10 for free

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Nice to know but my windows 7 isnt genuine either, so not sure what the complications will be with the free upgrade above. Currently in the process of awaiting for a 2nd hand SSD with a bigger size to arrive sd i can upgrade to windows 10. From my research, the keys are most likely to be corporate ones :)

Nice to know but my windows 7 isnt genuine either, so not sure what the complications will be with the free upgrade above. Currently in the process of awaiting for a 2nd hand SSD with a bigger size to arrive sd i can upgrade to windows 10. From my research, the keys are most likely to be corporate ones :)
If your Windows 7 is activated fine at the moment, you may find that it upgrades fine and a digital entitlement is still created and stored in your Microsoft account (assuming that you have one and link it as part of the Windows 10 upgrade) - essentially giving you a 'clean' valid license going forward! Worth a shot before spending another few quid on another valid-but-not-legitimate license!

Do you use Office 365 at the company you work at? If so, there's an entirely legitimate and free way to install it to your home machines.

Although that does die when you leave.

Most companies that're on a strong MS account should offer the ability to buy (for pennies) full standalone Office copies (likely 2019), completely legitimately, that won't require an ongoing fee if you leave the company.
Do you use Office 365 at the company you work at? If so, there's an entirely legitimate and free way to install it to your home machines.

Most companies that're on a strong MS account should offer the ability to buy (for pennies) full standalone Office copies (likely 2019), completely legitimately, that won't require an ongoing fee if you leave the company.

Ooo...I didn't realise that. You mean, in theory, I could go to our IT department and make a friendly inquiry about legitimately buying or acquiring a very cheap copy of Office 2019 via them?

**Possibly**, yeah. ;-)

Like I say, it depends on:
  1. If the company are at the right level, contract wise, with Microsoft.
    (it's a bit weird, and MS love a convoluted membership)
  2. If the company have bothered to implement said bonuses.
    (that's not a slight, it's a whole thing)
Oh, and you're likely better off speaking to HR or looking for an official page on the intranet/SharePoint, but, yeah, basically ... all good.
Ooo...I didn't realise that. You mean, in theory, I could go to our IT department and make a friendly inquiry about legitimately buying or acquiring a very cheap copy of Office 2019 via them?

If your Windows 7 is activated fine at the moment, you may find that it upgrades fine and a digital entitlement is still created and stored in your Microsoft account (assuming that you have one and link it as part of the Windows 10 upgrade) - essentially giving you a 'clean' valid license going forward! Worth a shot before spending another few quid on another valid-but-not-legitimate license!

Its only £1.50 so once the SSD arrives i'll buy to try :)

Sadly the Home Use Programme (HUP) that used to allow you to buy a copy of Office 2016/2019 for £9.99, for businesses with a commercial relationship with Microsoft that included Software Assurance, has changed to offering a discounted Office 365 subscription instead.

Which is really really annoying.

that is literally the lamest thing since people wore thin clothes that had a golden tint to them and they slightly crimply ...

grrr.

for all the good work that they *are* doing with 365 it's stuff like this (basically fkucing home users) that I really can't get behind ...
Sadly the Home Use Programme (HUP) that used to allow you to buy a copy of Office 2016/2019 for £9.99, for businesses with a commercial relationship with Microsoft that included Software Assurance, has changed to offering a discounted Office 365 subscription instead.

I realise I'm a bit late to the party here, but Microsoft 365 (the recently re-branded Office 365) is £60 a year for personal or £80 a year for six people. Which is a fantastic deal - especially given how good the overall offering is, and how much a single Office license used to cost. Even if you're not in a position to share it with your family, you can share it with five mates and it will cost you £13 each a year. That's pretty damn good - even if just for the 1TB of storage alone.

Am I missing something here? Unless there were corporate reasons, why would any home user pay for a Microsoft Office suite when LibreOffice is available, with support, for free? I've recently used both suites (admittedly not used every feature) and they both work fine. Main difference being that LibreOffice doesn't constantly badger me to log into my Microsoft account.

I realise I'm a bit late to the party here, but Microsoft 365 (the recently re-branded Office 365) is £60 a year for personal or £80 a year for six people. Which is a fantastic deal - especially given how good the overall offering is, and how much a single Office license used to cost. Even if you're not in a position to share it with your family, you can share it with five mates and it will cost you £13 each a year. That's pretty damn good - even if just for the 1TB of storage alone.
Oh, I agree. For various complicated reasons I have both a business Office 365 subscription that I pay for, plus a Microsoft 365 account for my personal use (and the family). I think it is excellent value, not least the 1TB of OneDrive storage that comes included too.

However, for many people, they won't see the benefit of the annual subscriptions and would have been far better off with the £10 HUP license that would last them several years.

Am I missing something here? Unless there were corporate reasons, why would any home user pay for a Microsoft Office suite when LibreOffice is available, with support, for free? I've recently used both suites (admittedly not used every feature) and they both work fine. Main difference being that LibreOffice doesn't constantly badger me to log into my Microsoft account.
LibreOffice is a million miles away from what is available in Office 2019 / Office 365. If all you need to do is an odd letter then it's fine, but for anything else I'll happily pay for the 'real thing'.

LibreOffice is a million miles away from what is available in Office 2019 / Office 365. If all you need to do is an odd letter then it's fine, but for anything else I'll happily pay for the 'real thing'.

Interesting, thanks. Let's say I wanted to use only the word processing package in Office 365 - what features does it offer over and above those features offered by the LibreOffice word processing software?

Interesting, thanks. Let's say I wanted to use only the word processing package in Office 365 - what features does it offer over and above those features offered by the LibreOffice word processing software?
There is a pretty detailed comparison maintained by the Libre Office people themselves, and while some of their comments are pretty subjective (and naturally favour Libre!), even they still highlight quite a few areas with large gaps: Feature Comparison: LibreOffice - Microsoft Office - The Document Foundation Wiki

When I'm working in MS Word, my documents will include different text styles, I'll normally be including a table or too that Word nicely designs and formats for me, I will definitely get a grammar point or two highlighted, and I'll definitely be collaborating with colleagues through tracked changes. All of these are missing or limited in Libre, by their own admission, compared to Word/Office.

There is a pretty detailed comparison maintained by the Libre Office people themselves, and while some of their comments are pretty subjective (and naturally favour Libre!), even they still highlight quite a few areas with large gaps: Feature Comparison: LibreOffice - Microsoft Office - The Document Foundation Wiki

Indeed, so it's no surprise that on a simple 'feature count', LibreOffice Writer comes out on top, according to the comparison table. What a surprise! Fortunately for me, I'm unconcerned about collaborative features. However, LibreOffice Writer has better support for older word processing file formats and better ebook file format compatibility, which is more important to me. Horses for courses, I guess.

I wonder how @happy_2008 is getting on with Windows10?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom