Windows 10 and iPhone 12 Pro HDR videos

suninmoon

Novice Member
Hey all

I'm trying to view the HDR video I shoot with my iPhone 12 Pro in Windows, more specifically I'm trying to view them in Adobe Lightroom but I get this prompt
1628883705477.png

Does anyone know anything about this color space and why Windows would not be able to Display it?

Thanks so much
Joshua

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Windows supports arbitrary colour spaces as far as I'm aware so I'd imagine the issue is the HLG transfer function.

I think windows only supports PQ at the moment (as used by HDR10, Dolby Vision etc.), which is a bit odd as you'd have thought the relative brightness HLG is better suited to computers. And traditional gamma of course.

next010

Distinguished Member
The iPhone 12 Pro video is a new variant of Dolby Vision [profile 8.2], Apple have their own guidelines on how to edit it so you get a normal HLG video to upload to Youtube.

(if you dont own a mac then you might want to watch this, could be just enough to get you access to the desired software or find someone who own a mac).

Its said Davinci Resolve Studio (not free version) can accept the video format and it has a windows version.

I have an iPhone 12 DV video sample and it seems to play fine in SDR, try MPC-BE.

Other places like Doom9, videohelp forums might be able to tell you more if this can edited on windows some other less costly way.

suninmoon

Novice Member
The iPhone 12 Pro video is a new variant of Dolby Vision [profile 8.2], Apple have their own guidelines on how to edit it so you get a normal HLG video to upload to Youtube.

(if you dont own a mac then you might want to watch this, could be just enough to get you access to the desired software or find someone who own a mac).

Its said Davinci Resolve Studio (not free version) can accept the video format and it has a windows version.

I have an iPhone 12 DV video sample and it seems to play fine in SDR, try MPC-BE.

Other places like Doom9, videohelp forums might be able to tell you more if this can edited on windows some other less costly way.
Thanks next010. I do have a Mac but had decided to switch to PC this year and build something that could do it all, photo, video, gaming, etc. I really like the PC I built but this Lightroom thing is a bummer. I can view the files in Windows, they dont look right but they do play, through apps like VLC.

Seems it's too early to tell if Apples variant will get any traction outside of the Apple ecosystem. It has not gone far from the Apple tree since debuted on the iPhone 12 Pro.

I would like to stick with Lightroom so I guess I have to wait it out on Windows, maybe buy myself a new Mac, or stop shooting in HDR :(

next010

Distinguished Member
I can view the files in Windows, they dont look right but they do play, through apps like VLC.

If were only talking about SDR, try MPC-BE or MPV which I've read is the better at handling HDR/HLG video, maybe it can make the SDR video playback on windows look more tolerable.

Download MPV.net from here it has a better GUI than the stock version of MPV, right click on OSD to being up the menu (main page of site has manual for player etc)..

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom