• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Windows 10 and Headphones

Saldawop

Distinguished Member
Tried using a pair of headphones with my PC. If I plug the jack into the tower, I have to use the onscreen slider to adjust volume. Fine,but doesnt go loud enough.If I plug them in to the volume switch thing that came with the speakers I use that control to adjust volume, but same sound level.Is it possible to make them louder? Is there a volume limit setting somewhere??
I want to play music, but it nowhere near loud enough.

DVD-Man

Distinguished Member
I use headphones with my PC and there is more volume than I'll ever need.

I'm not sure if this is windows 10 at work, have you tried the headphones in another device?

Is there another volume control somewhere perhaps in your soundcard volume which is limiting the sound?

Sonic67

Banned
Tried using a pair of headphones with my PC. If I plug the jack into the tower, I have to use the onscreen slider to adjust volume. Fine,but doesnt go loud enough.If I plug them in to the volume switch thing that came with the speakers I use that control to adjust volume, but same sound level.Is it possible to make them louder? Is there a volume limit setting somewhere??
I want to play music, but it nowhere near loud enough.
I'm a little confused but aren't you saying that you plug in direct to the tower and you can then control the volume in Windows?

That sounds about right.

If you have speakers plugged in but you then plug into a headphone socket on the speakers the sound is then fixed? That sounds like "a feature" of your speakers not Windows.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Is the output at correctly? E. G. Is the port configured as headphones/passive speakers as opposed to an amplifier?

Saldawop

Distinguished Member
Sonic, I have headphone jack on the tower.When I plug in headphones I control volume via onscreen slider in toolbar.
I also have a jack on the volume/bass/power remote control? unit that sits on the desk for my speakers,I plug headphones into that and I then control the volume with the volume control on the remote. (I hope that makes sense :D)
When I plug the headphones in, the other volume control (that im not plugged in to) has no effect on volume.

IMBW, when I plug the phones in, I get a little message telling me headphones have been plugged in.

Sonic67

Banned
Ok, I am trying to recreate what you have. I have a laptop not a tower. It has Windows 10. Usually I plug my headphones into the laptop and control the headphone volume with the Windows volume slider.

If I plug in my Creative GigaWorks T40 into the headphone socket and then the headphones into the port on the T40's then I can actually control the audio on the headphones via the laptop's volume control or the volume control on the speakers. Turn both up full and its loud enough.

Out of it go Control Power/Sound and have you had a look in there? Try using configure and seeing what it's set up as.

IronGiant

I've noticed that since upgrading I can no longer access the HD Vdeck software I used to manage my soundcard with. Although it seems Windows has successfully "taken over".

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom