Windows 10 5.1 HDMI output with Denon amp - 2 channel content.

junkie69

Novice Member
Hi Folks,

Got a question re how the Denon receivers work.

I have a media centre as my main source of watching content.
The media centre runs Windows 10.
It is connected to the Denon (AVR-x2700h) via hdmi.
The Denon is set up with Bi-Amp so, 5.1 channels
Windows is set up to output 5.1 channels, and testing this via the Windows 10 mmsys.cpl (Sound Properties Dialog) works as expected.
When I play 5.1 content via Kodi or VLC, I get full 5.1 surround sound as expected.

When I play 2.0 content via kodi or VLC, if I leave the Windows output to 5.1 channel, what setting should the Denon be set to to ensure the Denon up-mixes to 5.1 channels?

Thanks in advance.

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
The AVR-x2700h offers a large selection of options; you'll need to try them out to decide what works best for you. A list can be found here, with meanings here.

Your PC software should also have a list of options, in many cases the PC software offers a lot more options than the AVR so you get to fiddle for weeks. :)

junkie69

Novice Member
Thanks Mark.
Had seen the second link in the manual, but somehow missed the first link.

So if I am reading that correctly:
"When I play 2.0 content via kodi or VLC, if I leave the Windows output to 5.1 channel, what setting should the Denon be set to to ensure the Denon up-mixes to 5.1 channels?"
Answer would be: Multi Ch Stereo.
1649983109384.png

So, does denon drop the other channels in the input and up mix the L and R input channels to all 5.1 speakers?

I dont seem to get any sub when this setting is selected...
I do get L, R, Surrounds and Center.

Would really like it up mixed so includes the sub.
Anyone have any ideas?

unoduo

On my media PC - I leave Windows set to it’s default 2.0 channel setting & make any changes in the media player or on the avr.

Make sure Dolby or DTS soundtracks are being bitstreamed & then just use Dolby Surround (or Neural X etc) options on your avr to upmix stereo sources If required.

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
Thanks Mark.
Had seen the second link in the manual, but somehow missed the first link.

So if I am reading that correctly:
"When I play 2.0 content via kodi or VLC, if I leave the Windows output to 5.1 channel, what setting should the Denon be set to to ensure the Denon up-mixes to 5.1 channels?"
Answer would be: Multi Ch Stereo.
View attachment 1683265
So, does denon drop the other channels in the input and up mix the L and R input channels to all 5.1 speakers?

I dont seem to get any sub when this setting is selected...
I do get L, R, Surrounds and Center.

Would really like it up mixed so includes the sub.
Anyone have any ideas?
The *5 after "multi-channel" refers to a footnote (which you removed): "The sound mode that can be selected differs depending on the audio format of the input signal and the number of channels." So it won't allow you to select a mode in which you discard the surround, centre and subwoofer, then convert the front L&R to some pseudo-surround.

This means you should not force the use of 5.1 PCM from your laptop for stereo sources. In such a case the AVR cannot tell the difference between "actually I meant 2.0" and "there's nothing currently on the other channels". The software you're using on the laptop ought to have an "automatic" format setting, which usually works just fine.

The subwoofer will be used, for all sources (stereo or surround), based on the speaker, subwoofer and crossover settings. Most critically, the front speakers (actually all speakers) must be set to small. If the front speakers are set to large, bass will not be redirected.

BTW, although multi CH stereo is available, it is probably the least useful option with a stereo source. Reread the first table here.

junkie69

Novice Member
This means you should not force the use of 5.1 PCM from your laptop for stereo sources. In such a case the AVR cannot tell the difference between "actually I meant 2.0" and "there's nothing currently on the other channels". The software you're using on the laptop ought to have an "automatic" format setting, which usually works just fine.

Thanks Mark.
Am now changing Windows to Stereo when watching 2.0 content - Current video card software does not have an auto option, but easy enough to change via right clicking the volume icon.

Also have set Front L&R to small as suggested.
Now getting plenty of sub. :D

Have settled on the DTS Neural:X option.

junkie69

Novice Member
On my media PC - I leave Windows set to it’s default 2.0 channel setting & make any changes in the media player or on the avr.

Make sure Dolby or DTS soundtracks are being bitstreamed & then just use Dolby Surround (or Neural X etc) options on your avr to upmix stereo sources If required.
Thanks unoduo.
Have elected to swap Windows from 2.0 to 5.1 depending on the source being watched.
Seems to sound the best in my setup.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom