Window vent question

tigermad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Evening. Just noticed something ridiculous in my house. The newer parts of the house approx 4 years old have window vents on the inside and matching vents on the outside. I have just noticed they don’t actually do anything. There is no opening to the outside. What’s that’s all about!

Why would you have the fittings on if they don’t work?

884464D8-9781-495F-A4E8-AC9399939B94.jpeg

Not sure if serious or taking the mick?

Pull that little lever in the middle towards you and the vent will open.

Not sure if serious or taking the mick?

Pull that little lever in the middle towards you and the vent will open.
I’m not stupid! I know how to operate a window vent. It is just attached to the window. There is no hole going to the outside. We have just removed it and it’s a solid window frame.

Perhaps it was fitted to fool the building inspector as windows to all new construction have to be fitted with a vent.

I had an extension nearly two years ago and new windows all round, the extension wondows have vents the windows to the existing part of the house have none. Bit of an odd rule, as now the extension is complete, if I wanted, I could change the vented windows for unvented.

Perhaps it was fitted to fool the building inspector as windows to all new construction have to be fitted with a vent.

I had an extension nearly two years ago and new windows all round, the extension wondows have vents the windows to the existing part of the house have none. Bit of an odd rule, as now the extension is complete, if I wanted, I could change the vented windows for unvented.
That’s the first thing I thought but apparently if you are fitting a new window I read you don’t need them. If replacing one that has them in you are supposed to have them.

What are Trickle Vents (and do you need them?)

I’m not stupid! I know how to operate a window vent. It is just attached to the window. There is no hole going to the outside. We have just removed it and it’s a solid window frame.

That's awesome, this century's fake beams. How bizarre.

Sounds like someone I know who stuck double sockets all over the house above the skirting board, which weren't connected.

I don’t see the point of not having the holes. It wasn’t much more work to drill some.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom