Window Plug - what material to us?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Bully9, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Bully9

Bully9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi - i've built a frame using 70mm x 16mm pine, approx 2m wide x 1m high. It's divided down the middle, so i have two holes, approx 1m x 1m to fill.

I was going to use acoustic foam, but the price worked out well over £100, so i wondered if there was anything as effective but a lot cheaper.

I'm actually trying to keep noise out, rather than in, but i assume the principle's the same.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

2. WonkyEwok

WonkyEwok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    Sorry I didn't quite follow - Are you trying to prevent sound getting from one side of the window to the other?
    Fibreglass panels are recommended as better than foam at Studio construction & acoustics - Gearslutz.com
    The Wickes near me has 3 types :
    * big soft rolls, cheap but maybe not dense enough.
    * 6' * 3' * 2-3" blocks. Medium density and price. I've used these 4" deep in wooden frames a few inches from the wall to help smooth out the bass response in a small room.
    * 6' * 3' * 1" ish blocks. Much denser. More expensive. Maybe block sound well in a small volume but I've not tried it.

But there might be cleverer stuff for more money.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2009
  3. Bully9

Bully9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for the reply, and your suggestion WE.

The gearslutz website had a few ideas and a piece of mdf backed - or rather 'fronted' - with 2" of rocksilk seems to be an economical possibility.

It's the detail that seems to be lacking. Phrases like "MDF needs to be sealed airtight" and ""Rockwool wrapped in white fabric" tend to leave me scratching my head a bit:confused:

4. Ted White

Ted White

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    To stop sound the primary element needed is mass. I'd suggest a plywood panel. Perhaps ply + plasterboard, ply + MDF, etc. Then have some 1" compressed fiberglass panel on the window side of this plug.