Window mounted cctv

I've seen a few houses with cctv cameras pointing towards their driveway from bedroom window ledges, I am guessing they are in the rented home zone like me,Could anyone recommend such camaras i need just two cameras to watch my driveway and easy set up

mushii

Distinguished Member
Setting up cameras behind glazing is problematic and mostly ineffective. It is not a recommended method of installing CCTV.

sbriggs

Then I’m a little confused , if you can’t drill holes how are you going to be able to get cables through to the outside window ledge

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
I have two blink xt2 cameras, very impressed to be honest, but they are battery WiFi cameras, I also am confused as to what you want ....

sbriggs

How are you intending to power them and how are you intending to connect them to your phone, the internet and/or your internal network ?

CCTV cameras need power either from an internal battery or from a power socket
CCTV cameras generally need someway of connecting to your router so you can view them on a computer, or app on your phone (locally or remotely)

With your requirement of no drilling but also no battery or wifi operated cameras this is impossible.

They've be powered via the mains going through the window ? to the dvr or whatever you need to use to view,It's the subscription i don't want,My drive is easy to see no major distance at all

sbriggs

Ok so you are drilling through the window frame or are you just trailing a lead out of an open window.

So you could use POE IP CCTV cameras (both data and power are taken down a single Cat5e/6 cable) each camera is linked back to a POE switch and into your router or NVR (network video recorder).

one Cheap option

2 x External grade turret 2MP POE cameras
1 x Android TV Box with Tiny Cam Pro running on it with a USB Hard Drive
1 x 4 Port POE switch
2 x Cat5e cable

Approximately £225

Clement

Panasonic have just launched a home CCTV camera specifically designed to look through a window and not get glare etc

Review of it here,

bruny

Panasonic have just launched a home CCTV camera specifically designed to look through a window and not get glare etc

Review of it here,

Not sure if this is available in UK yet.

mushii

Distinguished Member

Review of it here,
It looks OK but has some pretty major shortcomings currently. Watch the last couple of minutes of the video

Jamie

Distinguished Member
If you've got uPVC windows it's perfectly possible to thread a USB cable through an opening window, there's enough gap between the frame and the opening section for a cable and the silicone seals are squashy enough for a small cable

I've fitted 2 TP-Link Kasa outdoor cameras using this method.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom