1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Window Blackouts - Black Sticky Back Vinyl??

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Mark Ward, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I've got some odd shaped arch windows that it's next to impossible to curtain effectively.

I though I'd try using black sticky backed vinyl over the individual panes. I'd need quite a bit and would ideally like it to come away clean at a later date.

Any ideas where and what to buy? These are BIG windows.

Cheers,

Mark.

2. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What about using self adhesive velcro to hold some backout cloth in place? You'd probably have to sew the velcro to the blackout cloth, but it should work OK.

3. njiri

njiri
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could try thick black plastic sheeting. I think it's used as damp-proof membranes in the building trade. I Got some from Homebase, though that was a couple of years ago. It isn't sticky backed, but is absolutely light-proof.

4. pcdoc

pcdoc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have done that myself Richard, self adhesive velcro on the UPVc window frame (white so it dosen't show up too much) and the Blaclout material I bought had a rubberised side, sticky velcro stuck to it just fine. I have a bay window in whats becomes my Cinema room, I bought 3 metres of the material and 1/2 mtr of velcro, works really well, I get the sun on that window all day when its up shining.

Cost was £12.97

Pcdoc

5. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks foir the tips.

I'll try the velcro/blackout solution for the side windows. The odd shaped panes in my large window will nee individual treatment though so I'll try some of the black plastic and gaffa tape on that. I'm a little concerned about the wooden window froms though.

Cheers,

Mark.

6. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    I used self adhesive velcro on my loft escape widow to fix hardboard to it. I also used staples to ensure the velcro stayed put on the hardboard. The window velcro seems fine as it is.

I initialy used black vinyl, but the window is south facing, and the summer suns' heat caused the adhesive to melt and come away.

The hardboard does a good job, and opens with the window. I can remove it easily if I have to, and it was relatively easy to cut. You can make templates out of cardboard or paper to make it easier to get the shape right with the hardboard.

HTH

Gary.