1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wind me up!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by dooz, Jan 21, 2005.

1. dooz

dooz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently built my own projector screen. I documented the process process in quite a lot of detail here if you are interested.

As the projector screen is infront of a doorway it needs to be retractable. I would have rathered a sheet of MDF or a stretched fabric screen but that would have been difficult to install. After much thought I decided to go with ticking rather than blackout material as it is a heavy fabric but more flexible and so it rolls up more easily. Now that the screen has been hanging for a month or so all the creases are gone and it is close to as good as a streached fabric screen.

My one remaining problem designing a system to retract it. I have tried a rope pully but I can't get enough friction between the rope and the driven pully. I am thinking of maybe a chain drive system but that seems like a lot of work. Alternativly I could butcher an old roller blind but to be quite honest I think the pully systems on most of them look ugly. Any ideas?

2. doink

doink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you realise how cheap a retractable screen is these days?
    I think if you demo even a bottom of range dedicated screen against a cotton drape you would be very surprised

3. dooz

dooz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I admit that they have come down in price a lot in recent years but they are still no where near the price of something you can build for yourself. I have seen films projected on to high quality screens and I admit that the picture is brighter but I don't mind burning a few lumens to save in the reagion of £150.

I had a quick look before I went the DIY route which was enough to convince me I could do it much more cheaply. Prices for a 200cm x 135cm screen were at least £120 and that is if you go for the real bargin basment version that will probably fall to bits in a couple of years. My DIY screen cost less than £30 and took a few hours (3 or 4) to make. On top of that I got the fun of building it myself. Maybe, when I am earning a little more, I will buy a real screen. Till then though any ideas on a way to make a cheap pulley / wind up system.

4. doink

doink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DA-lite (cheap) retractable screens regularly come up for sale in the classifieds section of this site.. they will not discolour or stretch like cotton will.

5. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    The pully system you tried and failed with. Can you describe it?

6. dooz

dooz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you have a look at the page I put together about making the screen you will see the main pole at the top sticks out to the right about 30cm. I have added another pipe joiner on that end.

I looped some 6mm rope over the pipe joiner and weighted it at the bottom. One loop (eg the rope just bent over the pipe joiner) just slipped so I looped the rope over a couple more times which provided enough friction to turn the pole. The problem with that though is that the rope then has a tendency to crawl along the pole as the screen is raised.

7. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Try putting elastic bands around the pipe jointer where you want the rope to run, it should give you more grip.