• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Wind Energy

Gadfium

Ok...I will totally admit to being blown away by the quality and sheer imagination of some of the posts in this month's competition...some of you guys really have a talent!!!

I have wracked my brains trying to come up with a suitable idea... (E=MC-beaten to it... sunsets-gone too....spent a day at BSB race at Oulten Park....and then there is Zone's & wabbit's entries:smashin:).

Anyhoo... this is my humble effort...taken at a kite festival in Morecambe this month, titled "Wind Energy".

I have cloned out some distractions and applied a Lens Blur to the background (first time to use the Lens Blur in PS....very impressive tool!!)

WindEnergy.jpg

Exif info:
Camera: 350D
Focal length: 16.0mm (35mm equivalent: 187mm)
Exposure time: 0.0100 s (1/100)
Aperture: f/14.0
ISO equiv.: 100
Whitebalance: Auto
Taken with the new Sigma 10-20 lens (very impressive piece of kit!)
(BTW the image compression makes the sky look really lousy...sorry:thumbsdow)

A

Alliecampbell

I really like this. The composition is excellent and your eye naturally follows the boys left arm all the way up to the kite, very effective. The sky looks ok on my monitor. I also like the audience in the background it adds someting but im not quite sure what. Well done.:thumbsup:

Alliec

wabbitt

I like this too. A good take on wind energy in my opinion.

The little boy seems to punch out of the background. Great capture!

OutKa5t

Standard Member
yeah I quite like this one. Would be interested to see the original because I can see the post processing a bit too much in the entry

Gadfium

OutKa5t said:
yeah I quite like this one. Would be interested to see the original because I can see the post processing a bit too much in the entry
The original (resized to 1024) is at Clicky
You can see how much I have cleaned it up to make the boy stand out and be the focus of attention (I hope that the amount of PP work does not invalidate this picture from the competition...if so, then Mod please delete...)

wabbitt

From what I understand PP is OK, but I think it is advised exactly what PP has been done.
No biggie.

Simply tell us what you did so that we can learn from your techniques and appreciate the work involved.

Prefer the one you've submitted more with the PP to be honest. :)

Gadfium

wabbitt said:
From what I understand PP is OK, but I think it is advised exactly what PP has been done.
No biggie.

Simply tell us what you did so that we can learn from your techniques and appreciate the work involved. :)
I am no way an expert on PS...more of a "one-fingered typist" who prods at it now and then ....
I used the clone stamp to remove the other kites. I then pasted in another picture on another layer and used the eraser tool to get rid of the woman in white.
The blur was done using Quick Mask and painting over the boy, string and kite in black and then used the Lens Blur tool.

wabbitt said:
Prefer the one you've submitted more with the PP to be honest. :)

Cheers mate.......Glad that the PP works for you.

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
I like the finished version, we also went to the kite festival, and bought the same kite. :)
There was a circular one, that might have made a nice photo aswell.

Gadfium

Jazz Monkey Jr said:
I like the finished version, we also went to the kite festival, and bought the same kite. :)
There was a circular one, that might have made a nice photo aswell.
What about the octopus!
16072006-1139-01-01.jpg

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
Gadfium said:
What about the octopus!

Didn't see that one, it must have been late on.

EDIT: Just seen the EXIF, it was early on, I didn't get down there till tea time.

Gadfium

I left at about 4PM as the tide was well in by then.....you would have missed most of the good stuff then..

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom