1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Winamp plugin problems/confusion

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by zAndy1, May 4, 2003.

1. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,959
    I want to get the best playback from Winamp so am looking at some of the plugins you can use with it. I've installed the CD Reader plugin which seems to work fine, also the Monkey Audio plugin and MAD plugin for good MP3 decoding. The problem I'm having is with output plugins. There seems to be 3 I could use, an ASIO plugin or a KS (Kernel Streaming) plugi or a Direct Sound with SSRC plugin. I've downloaded the ASIO one from http://www.aikis.or.jp/~otachan/out_asio.html but when I choose that as my output plugin I can't play anything. When I click on a track in the playlist it just doesn't seem to play , it's not that it plays and I can't hear anything, it just doesn't even seem to play (i.e. no equalizer display, no track number/timer). I've tried the KS plugin and that seems to work ok but it doesn't seem to have the options that the ASIO one does (nothing about resampling). The Direct sound with SSRC one seems to work too but isn't the point to get away from the WinXP KMixer and I don't see how the Direct Sound plugin is doing that (I may be wrong). Basically I want to make sure I can upsample stuff to 192khz/24bit resolution if possible as I've got an Maudio revolution which should be good for it. Any advice as to the plugins I should use and why perhaps the ASIO one doesn't work (this is via the analog outs of the Revo by the way, I know the Revo doesn't support ASIO via SP/DIF at the moment).

Cheers
    Andy

2. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,959
    Quick update, got the ASIO plugin working but when I use that or the KS plugin I don't seem to be able to use the Circle Surround II processing of the M-Audio Revo card, is this to be expected? Just seem to get 2 channel playback, it sounds fantastic but it would be nice to be able to use 5 channel playback too. Also I don't seem to be getting anything through the digital coaxial, do I need to do something else to do that? Ideally I'd like to resample stuff and send it out via digital coaxial at 24bit/96khz to my AVC-A1SE which I assume will take such a digital signal.

Cheers,
    Andy

3. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,959
    When using the ASIO plugin how do I know whether I'm using 16bit, 20bit or 24 bit resolution? I can choose the sampling frequency (which I've set to 96Khz) but how do I set it to 24 bit to make the most of my M-Audio revolution?

Cheers,
    Andy.