1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Win98 woes ...

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by PaulBoy, Oct 21, 2004.

1. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    In a moment of weakness I agreed to help someone upgrade their PC from a 400hz PII (I think) to a 2ghz so got him a mobo / processor / ram upgrade ...
    When I put it together & fired up his hdd loaded Win98 OK but wont load his CDRW drive - I have checked the cables / settings (it is set as master on 2nd IDE channel)
    Ive been using XP for so long I cant get my head round Win98 ... any suggestions ?
    Paul :suicide:

2. PAH

PAH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I'd start by checking for exclamation marks in the Device Manager (assuming Win98 has one?!) and if necessary loading any drivers that came with the mobo.

Otherwise check the bios to see if anything is disabled or set up wrong.

Then try swapping the ide cables round so the CDRW is on the first channel and the HD is on the 2nd. Also worth trying the other connection on the ide cable just in case (master is usually at the end IIRC).

Then await help from someone else who has more of a clue than I have :zonked:

3. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,965
    I wonder if you'd be better off getting Win98 SE (secon edition) as this corrects a lot of problems with win98. I believe you can download it as an update if you have a good internet connection.

4. apul

apul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Agree, Win98 was full of problems. Win98-2nd edition is brilliant. Still use it now! Make sure youve got all the latest drivers for your Motherboard from their website, like 4in1 drivers and usb drivers and such things, if it needs them.
    Then do Windows update until all the vital updates are done, and all of the other ones are done that you need.