Win7 MC to MP to Win7 MC and now to XBMC

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by Hopless67, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Hopless67

Hopless67
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I built a HTPC last Autumn using Windows 7. First I tried media center but soon tried Media Portal for its configurability. I was advised against XBMC as I have a TV tuner and I want to use my HTPC as a PVR. However MP was too complicated and I couldn't get the tv channels to change fast enough unlike in MC. I have since moved back to W7MC but I miss the configurability that MP offered. I am now looking again at XBMC and note you can use it as a PVR if you use a back end tuner. So my question is does XBMC work very well as a PVR if I were to use say 4TR as a backed tuner and importantly can I pause live TV and rewind live TV as I could in MP? I prefer to use a different tuner server to MP as I found the tv took an age to turn on and change channels using MP.
    What are your thoughts?

2. bryanchicken

bryanchicken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    It's very much in development at the moment so don't expect it to be as polished as 7mc, yet.
    However, it is very usable IMO. I'm using the Ubuntu pvr build with tvheadend and I'm surprised how good it is.

The big thing that is missing currently is time shifting. It works with 1 particular skin and the MP backend, more by luck than judgement from what I've read.

I've used MP before and with my setup the channel changes are quicker which I was amazed at considering they are streamed and buffered over a RSTP (i think) protocol instead of from within 1 app.

I can't speak much about the other backends much as tvheadend was the simplest (for me) and best fit for my needs. I did dabble in the others though.

Windows wise youre only left with 4TR if you don't want MP, unless they've added more. I couldn't get that combo to work last time I tried.

3. babesumitra

babesumitra
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been more than 3 years to make the same experience. I've used in addition to the issues that you still DVBLink programs.

I am now very happy that I switched to XBMC 11th

As TV solution I prefer more of a clean programmed solution:

DVBViewer

Meanwhile, I have also managed that XBMC is pretty compatible with DVBViewer. It feels as one integrated system. At least my friend has no problems more easily switch between MP3, movies and TV.

Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best.

4. WheresMyArtisan

WheresMyArtisan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    I've been using 7MC as our main lounge TV for years, six years including XP MCE. It does live/recorded TV, movies and music. We also have a Linksys extender in the bedroom (soon to be replaced by an Xbox slim to cope with HD). I did have to do some tinkering to play blu-ray rips, but it all works fine. The TV's own remote is in a cupboard - it only acts as a monitor.

I've never really felt the need to look at anything else. Please enlighten me - what am I missing out on? I mean this as a genuine question, I'm not trolling. I've never bothered to look at anything else, as it seems to do everything required of it. And it's free (-ish, after paying for Windows).

5. Hopless67

Hopless67
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for your thoughts. I've spent a bit of time this afternoon on W7MC forums and you can customise it a little. Really that is all I want to do: play movies from a hard drive, record tv and watch tv. W7MC might just be it after all. It certainly works well out of the box.

6. bryanchicken

bryanchicken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    Artisan - the reason I don't use 7mc is that I could never get it to automatically switch refresh rates. There is a plugin that's meant to do it but didn't work for me.
    I set up shortcuts and keyboard shortcuts but the gf just wanted to push play. She never noticed the judder but it drove me mad. Also 7mc had to restart to switch refresh rates, ruined the appliance feel. External players were just too much of a faff.

It's not actually missing functionality other than that though.

7. WheresMyArtisan

WheresMyArtisan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    I got a refresh rate switcher from some Australian forum. It works - just select the refresh rate and the screen goes black then it restarts MC. OK, it's an extra step before playing a blu-ray, but not a biggie.

I think, from memory, that I had to manually select 24Hz, then back to 50Hz. When it's been done once manually it seems to be able to do it for ever again via the program.