• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Win7 and old Programs

rickinyorkshire

Distinguished Member
In my PC I have 2 hard drives, 1 of which is for the OS. I plan on upgrading to Win7 and i'm wondering if all my old programs will still work OK on my other hard drive - steam/office/SPSS/music/games etc etc ?

Ta.

Stiggy

Distinguished Member
What OS are you using now? If it's Vista there's almost no difference in compatability with 7.

You should have no problems with Steam or Office. The disk they are on is irrelevant.

rickinyorkshire

Distinguished Member
What OS are you using now? If it's Vista there's almost no difference in compatability with 7.

You should have no problems with Steam or Office. The disk they are on is irrelevant.

Woops, forgot to mention I'm using XP. :)

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
It shouldn't be a problem, because 7 has a compatibilty mode (it's not brilliant though in my experience).

Or you could run a virtual setup which should be guaranteed to work if you still have your XP disc;

Windows Virtual PC: Home Page

MarkE19

When you say 'will the old programs still work' do you mean after doing a clean install of Win7 and without reinstalling the programs? With any clean install all previously installed programs, regardless of where they are stored will need to be reinstalled. Installing programs adds entries to the likes of the Windows registry that will be lost by the clean install, so you will need to reinstall them. If you do an in-place upgrade to Win7 then as long as the program is Win7 compatible it should still work without the need to reinstall - although I don't think you can do an in-place upgrade from XP, so you would need to reinstall all your programs.

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom