1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Win2K or XP and Opinions on New Panasonic NV-DS60B/NV-DS65B

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by YipYazoo, Mar 28, 2003.

1. YipYazoo

YipYazoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello All,

Just purchased my first MiniDV camera, a Panasonic NV-DS60B, and I plan on using a small PC (800 MHz Pentium III, Intel 815 chipset, 256MB, 40GB Hard Drive, DVD-R, with integrated firewire ports) for entry-level NLE purposes.

Question is whether I stay with Win2K or do I really have to "upgrade" to XP? Indeed, most of the rags recommend going with XP, but I really don't want to spend the money on an OS upgrade if I don't have to. Any opinions, suggestions or magical incantations?

Also would like to know if any fellow Panasonic camcorder owners have had a chance to look over the new NV-DS6XB series, and if so, have any opinions or suggestions (e.g. recommend a make/model DV-In "widget") on maximizing the usage of this new "toy" of mine?

Will be trying my new camcorder on an upcoming weekend trip to Wales. Will let you know how it goes when I return.

YipYazoo

2. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    I am tempted to say stick with 2000

XP tends to be quite heavy on resource usage. For example, on my laptop (an Intel 800MHz with 256MB RAM) Windows 2000 flies and runs like a dream. When I stuck XP Pro on it, it slowed right down.

For video editing, you need all the speed you can get so on your machine, you will loose out to the OS.

Yes you get video editing software built in to XP but you will probably want to use something better anyway.

Either way, for what you want to do, XP will not give you anything extra. With 2000, the machine you have got is fine for video.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    I tend to agree with Networkguy.
    2000 is a stable OS and by what you have said is currently running OK on your PC (if it aint broke, don't fix it!).
    XP would be the OS to go for if you were buying a new PC as it is the latest and therefore best supported, but can cause a lot of compatability problems with old(er) hardware.
    40Gb hard disk is not a lot of space for NLE, but should be enough to get you started. Once you've got the bug though you will want/need more disk space! Remember that 4 minutes of DV footage takes 1Gb of disk space.
    With an old PC you need to check that you have DMA enabled on your HDD and the disk is defragmented. Also stop all background programmes like antivirus etc. A good programme to do this is EndItAll that can be downloaded free. Do a search to find it.

Good luck,
    Mark.

4. itrost

itrost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    YipYazoo, can you share us your experinces with the Panasonic NV-DS60. Is it possible to record in low-light conditions?

Iztok

5. Nilsen

Nilsen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stick to Win 2000! I have been using 2000 ever since it was released. Parallell to this PC I used two other PC's with Win 98SE and XP Home. The two latter machines always gave me lots of crashes. All three pc's had Pinnacle's DV200 installed with premiere 6.01. No problems in 4 years with Win 2000, not a single crash. This speaks for itself, doesn't it?
    Regards, Kaare Nilsen, Norway