Question WIN10 May updates has killed my PC! - BOOTREG MDR

par1sons

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am crawling the walls trying to fix this issue with Microsoft offering zero support apart from copy and pasting crap I already know.

The PC completed the update, restarted and then I was faced with
BOOTMGR IS MISSING​

I created a boot up on my USB, went to 'start-up repair' and it didn't work.
I then tried 'Uninstall Updates', it didn't work
I then tried 'system restore', it didn't work.
I then tried the CMD using the following
  1. BOOTREC /FIXMBR
  2. BOOTREC /FIXBOOT
  3. BOOTREC /scanos
  4. BOOTREC /rebuildbcd
and that also failed.

Then I tried reinstalling windows on a different partition having located a partition I did years ago which has 100% space (70gb), but when I went to custom and selected the drive, im told I can't use it! In fact I cant use any partition on any drive, so I cannot move forward and even do a win10 reinstall!

I have some art files ive recently created and I don't want to lose them. In addition I don't want to lose photoshop and illustrator because I inherited them from my old job of which I don't have the serial numbers for.

Is there anyway I can fix this issue and get back on my PC?

Any help would be very much welcomed

Thanks all

Andy

Last edited:
Is the error message you've written in the post correct or is it actually BOOTREC MBR? I can't find much references to either BOOTREG or MDR so if they are correct that suggests something unusual is happening.

Assuming it is MBR then that's the partition data of your hard drive which suggests it's either damaged or windows has lost the ability to read it for some reason.

Although the windows installer can clearly see much of the data or it wouldn't be showing you the partitions at all.

I'd run a Linux LiveUSB and see if that can read the hard drive. If it's one with a partition manager included it'd be interesting to see if that reports any errors.

Hi there,

Sorry, the message is
BOOTMGR IS MISSING.​

The trouble is I have limited knowledge so im going into areas I don't understand.

I will try the Linux approach and report back.

Thanks

Andy

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom