1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Win XP wont recognise capture device

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by JulieLapham, Aug 2, 2005.

1. JulieLapham

JulieLapham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This seems to be an ongoing problem with several of the users of this forum, and I just wondered whether or not the problem is getting resolved?
    Firewire is installed fine according to device manager, XP sp2 has all latest updates and the correct procedure has been followed with regared to cam status for capture to P.C. Still getting the message "No suitable capture device found."
    AVS Video Editor, Nero 6.6 and Windows Movie Maker have all been tried with same results.
    I really don't know where to go from here.... JVC tech support tell me that Windows XP can be a pig in recognising some firewire devices....but that doesn't really help me much, does it!?

As ever, Any help would be appreciated.

Cam is a JVC GR-D240. Win XP sp2. Pentium4 2.2ghz. 512Mb Ram. Nvidia Geoforce 4 MX420/64Mb

Kindest Regards,

Julie Lapham

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    I seem to remember that when XP SP2 was first released loads of people started reporting that their cams were not being detected via firewire, but were fine on SP1. IIRC the most common fault was on Panasonic cams, but not exclusively!
    Dredging the depths of my memory I think that MS released a small download for firewire problems, but not sure of the details, and some people posted saying it had fixed their problems. Might be worth doing a bit of searching to see if you can find more details.
    I was lucky as my camcorder was and still is ok when connected via firewire :suicide:

Mark.

3. JulieLapham

JulieLapham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice. I'll go look for the download and maybe it'll sort things out! (assuming I find it, that is!)

Julie Lapham