Win XP pro 64 bit question

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by DaddyDee, May 5, 2007.

1. DaddyDee

DaddyDee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    First, I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I couldn't see a forum section related to PC's and software.

I have a AMD Athalon 64 FX-57 processor, 2 GIG of Ram and a Win XP pro 32 bit Operating system. If I upgrade to the 64 bit version, will I notice a big difference when using and playing games on my PC? Would it be worth spending the money for the difference it would make?

Also, what is the difference between OEM and retail versions, apart from the price. Would I be ok going with the cheaper OEM version?

Thanks in advance.

2. pepsi

pepsi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    You'll only notice/see a difference if you run 64bit compiled apps. Most 32bit apps run at the same speed or slightly slower but not so slow you 'll notice. Games run pretty much the same, only some can be a bit finichy about installing but al the games I play (BF2, CS, BF2142, HL) all install and play fine.

Have you thought about Vista64 instead, once you switch all the fancy effects off it's pretty stable on 64bit hardware and of course is very secure out the box compared to Vista32 and XP.

Difference between OEM and Retial is that OEM comes with a restriction on apparent re-install's but I have OEM 32bit XP and had to re-install several times because of HD failure's and not had the OEM license mentioned once.