1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Win Xp Home

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by scrapbook, Jan 21, 2004.

1. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    I have been thinking of upgrading my daughters computer from 98SE to XP.

I tend to upgrade the motherboard, processor and memory every copuple of years...where does this leave me with XP?

I understand that during the registration process XP checks certain components on the system to prevent you from loading XP onto more than one computer?

So what happens if I have upgraded the parts that it checks?

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    I don't know the exact figures, but you are able to replace a couple of components in a set period without reregistering XP.
    If you do need to reregister you just need to phone MS and get an authorisation code that you enter on the PC to reactivate XP.
    I've never done this, but am about to so don't know how you prove to MS it is not a new PC with a copy of XP.

Mark.

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The details are complex, but the fingerprint is generated from things like the network card's MAC address, memory size, hard disk (not clear just what aspect of the disk configuration is taken into account, almost certainly drive 0 at lease), video card etc.

It was reported and not denied by M$ that each activation is 'forgotten' by their server after 120 days, deliberately, not another pice of cr@ppy M$ software ;) .. personally I DID move XP from one PC to another after 6 months and didn't have any problem auto-activating.

Recently I switched to a WiFi lan and changed the NICs in all my PCs. My XP Pro and XP Home systems both demanded to be re-activated, the Pro did it automatically while the Home wouldn't and I had to call them. There were no questions asked about my failed activations, whether the server records them I've no idea, all I was asked for was the fingerprint and then I was given the activation code.

Too few re-activations really to form an opinion as to how Draconian M$ would be, but that's my experience so far.

4. StevieDvd

StevieDvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    As a multiple PC & laptop owner working in the software industry I have official licenses for XP Home and XP Office on several machines and as I tend to upgrade a lot I have hit the re-register nuisance quite a few times. It's a pain but knowing that I have legit software I almost invite MS to come round and check personally. The telephone number when you exceed the Internet re-register limit is freephone anyway so cost is not an issue just the effort.

Yes it would be nice without the fuss, it would be nice if the software were cheap enough to not need piracy - but is that liekly to happen.

If you want free use Linux etc.

Not knocking MS or championing them - you can avoid them if you want but difficult to do in IT/Software business.

NB Don't ask fro freebie software from me I don't do games.

5. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Ironically using a pirate copy of XP is ultimately much easier for an inexperienced or frequent upgrader to use as it by-passes registration routines etc - allegedly.

6. wizbongre

wizbongre

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Just for interest - you can re-activate XP a few times in a given period as mentioned previously in this thread. It's also no hassle at all phoning MS for another activation code if you use up your alloted number of changes.

I've done it countless times now with no problems whatsoever - you just read out a code off your screen and then the operator reads the activation code back to you.

HTH.