• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Win Mo 7

prking

Right with the launch of Windows Mobile 7 - does anyone know if WinMo6.1 users will be able to manaully install Version 7 on there devices (HTC Touch HD) or does it need to be installed at the manufacturing stages?

Windows Mobile 7 is some distance in the future, there is a minor upgrade version 6.5 due in a few months. Its up to the manufacturer of the device whether they have an official upgrade procedure, many do not. Some hackers and modifiers will prepare unofficial ROMs for certain devices, but we can't discuss that here.

RobM

Distinguished Member
I would imagine there would be an upgrade path for some devices from 6.1 to 6.5, but 7 is going to be too different. It may support the hardware, but it would be a perfect opportunity for manufacturers to market their new handsets, so I can't imagine they will open 7 up to previous handsets.

Plus, as said, 7 is quite a way off. The earliest we will see anything WM7 related will be at the end of the year. I'd imagine they will tie it in with the launch of Windows 7.

McPhee

WM6.5 is going to be unveiled next month, possibly with a release at the same time. WM7 will be in the run up to Christmas (as said above it'll probably launch with Windows 7).

I doubt 6.1 phones will get to upgrade to 7, it'd completely negate the point in 6.5 existing. However it'll probably make it to most HTC handsets in an unofficial capacity ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom