Win ME and NVidia Drivers

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by General Skanky, Dec 4, 2002.

1. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Just built my pc. All fine except............... whenever I load a driver for my NVidia MX 440 graphics card the system won't boot.

I've looked around for answers, but it all points towards ME not being up to date. I've tried about 4 sets of drivers and am using the basic vga one for now as at least it'll boot up with that. I can't connect my new pc to the internet to update ME yet, as this pc is connected, and I need it for troubleshooting etc.

I'm hoping to have XP by the weekend. Is that more likely to have the proper support for the drivers?

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unless you can update ME and/or get the latest drivers (version 40.82) from the NVidia site you'll run into problems.

XP is fine with 40.82. I'm using it with my NVidia GeForce 4.

3. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Well, it took a bit (a lot) of trial and error, but I found out the answer.

I'd already burnt onto cdr the latest drivers. Put them onto my new pc, and it crashed every time on start up. Lots and lots of things tried, then I used my new TFT monitor, and hey presto, it worked perfectly. It seems my NVidia card didn't like my old HP M50 monitor!:rolleyes:

Great, problem solved. So I connect it all up to use it to update ME. Everything loads ok, but then it seems ME doesn't support USB 2! My modem is USB as is my mouse! My motherboard uses USB 2. I suppose I could uninstall the USB 2 drivers and try, but I'm fed up with swapping kit around the whole time. So can't get online to update! Back to square one.:rolleyes:

So I'm back to this pc until I get XP on Saturday.

Moral is this. When you build a new pc, buy 'everything' as new as possible to ensure compatibilty with everything else. Even the simplest things can go wrong.

Fingers crossed now. Won't say another word until XP is installed, running with no silly problems.:)

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Even XP didn't support USB 2.0 at first. You had to install an update (now included in SP1).