Win 8.1 new laptop won't enable defender or AV

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by MrMister111, Jul 15, 2015.

1. MrMister111

MrMister111

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Friend just bought a hp laptop from curry. It had McAfee on, so I uninstalled it successfully as was the standard trial, then went to action centre (its 8.1), and tired to enable the MS antivirus and defender, but when I click "turn on" it jumps to the system32 folder?

I've restarted, downloaded and ran the McAfee uninstall program, tried starting the defender service in services.msc but fails on error 577.

I seem to have tried everything now but just fails/opens up the system32 folder. Googling sees it as a conflict with another AV program or something, I've looked in the control panel>installed programs, and nothing there it AV, spybot etc.

Its so frustrating this, heres me trying to help and now it won't enable the 2 important things on the laptop!

Any help, as a last resort going to have to do a factory restore, which I don't want to do as its all setup with office, email, etc etc.

thanks

2. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,614
    How about installing AVG Free instead?

3. MrMister111

MrMister111

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    thought about that, but rather have the inbuilt MS one to be honest. Still means there's a problem there to as well though

4. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,548
    The uninstall has obviously mucked a setting up somewhere. You could try installing the latest trial version (of McAfee) and see if that fixes it.

5. MrMister111

MrMister111

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I ran the McAfee removal tool that's on their site going this would do it. So you think maybe download from the McAfee site the latest demo version and then restart, then try an uninstall?

Thanks

6. scythefwd

scythefwd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    just spit balling..

The service calls a certain program. Look in the properties of the service and see if you can find that program (possibly in system32.. ). It could be looking for the executable and not finding it. Have you brought this up in safe mode and checked to see if it will start there? Does the user account trying to launch the defender service have correct permissions to the registry key that hosts the service information? How bout the executable?

What are your event logs telling you when it fails (either system or application...) Save off the logs, clear them, then try to start the service and check the logs. Event ID for the errors turns up what online?