Question Win 7 second monitor suddenly stopped working

Tbone68

Standard Member
Hi,

My Company Laptop is running win 7 professional.

I have a docking station, which has the monitors plugged in.
Both monitors are VGA.
One is connected via a VGA to DVI adapter.

When I first installed the second monitor last year everything was ok. Then I think after a windows update, the second monitor isnt recognised. I have checked both monitors, cables and adapter on a different pc and everything is working OK.
I try to detect another monitor, but it only finds the monitor connected directly via VGA

I cannot roll back the upgrade cos my company wont allow it. Also, my Company IT support is not very good. Anyway I am in the field, so I cant just ask them to pop over for a look.

Can anyone suggest what has gone wrong and how I can fix this ?

All hardware is OK, I have confirmed this.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Two VGA outputs are unusual, I'm guessing this is a fairly old machine?

If you try the non-functioning monitor on it's own then does it work?

Tbone68

Standard Member
Non functioning monitor on its own works, but not when I connect it with the DVI adapter.
If I connect it with the DVI adapter to another PC it works fine.
The only thng I cant check is the DVI port on the docking station.
This worked perfectly until a windows update so i doubt it is the hardware.

Thanks for the reply.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Non functioning monitor on its own works, but not when I connect it with the DVI adapter.
If I connect it with the DVI adapter to another PC it works fine.
The only thng I cant check is the DVI port on the docking station.
This worked perfectly until a windows update so i doubt it is the hardware.

Thanks for the reply.
So it's a DVI to VGA adapter and not a VGA to DVI adapter? The direction matters (source to display) because the two function quite differently. (most) DVI ports will output a VGA signal so most DVI to VGA adapters just change the plug. The reverse isn't true, so a VGA to DVI adapter is actually converting the signal from one format to another.

As I say two VGA outputs is unusual these days so I'm wondering if your video driver has been updated to a version that doesn't support it. It might be worth going to the computer manufacturer's website and getting the latest video driver they provide.

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.
Top Bottom