Win 7 + HDMI out

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by tgmyc, Apr 10, 2016.

Tags:
  1. tgmyc

tgmyc
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I'm using my laptop for playing DVDs to my TV over HDMI and I'm struggling to get Windows to show me an option for 5.1 surround.

The set up is as follows:
    Dell Studio 1558 w/ Windows 7 x64 connected via HDMI to TV (Bush LC-39gl12f)
    TV connected via digital coax to Denon AVR-1800 amp
    Amp connected to 5.1 speakers

In my sound settings, Windows shows me the info I've attached at the end.

Has anyone come across this before and know why this is the cause? I tried using both the ATI/AMD drivers as well as the Realtek ones.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,723
    Try going from HDMI out of your PC into your amp, then HDMI from your amp into your TV.
    If your TV has an ARC HDMI port use that one (audio return channel) and it well send audio back from the tv to your amp as well.
    If not, you will need a separate connection from TV to amp to send sound back, such as HDMI or digital coax / toslink.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  3. tgmyc

tgmyc
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Unfortunately the amp doesn't support HDMI in nor does the TV have ARC. The TV is already connected to the amp via digital coax. I'm wondering if anyone has had anything similar

4. tgmyc

tgmyc
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm also wondering whether the TV only accepts 2 channels audio via HDMI and that is why the soundcard is only showing this option. TV is a few years old

5. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,723
    Okay, then you need to go from your PC to the amp via toslink or digital coax, obviously for sound only, and that will give you 5.1 audio from your PC to the amp. Then you will need another connection from your PC to your TV for video (HDMI / VGA / DVI).

You won't get the HD audio codecs but you should get basic 5.1.

You are correct that your TV probably cannot passthrough 5.1 audio to the amp.

Actually, depending on what connections you have on your laptop, you may need something like this (never used one so this is a suggestion rather than a recommendation):

ESYNiC HDMi to Optical Spdif Toslink Converter + HDMi: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  6. robbo100

robbo100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Have you tried re-booting your laptop with the HDMI plugged in? The device drivers aren't always brilliant at refreshing on some hardware. Worth a try.

7. Gerry557

Gerry557

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I suspect that it is a handshaking issue with the EDID. I keep getting the same issue every now and again. It see's the TV as 2.0 so wont output 5.1. There was a work around that edited the EDID to say the tv was 5.1. which allowed extra options in the output settings in the picture you posted.

Cant remember where it was in these forums but need to find it as I want to wind back a pc from 10 to 7 and know I will have the same problems.