Win 7 64 bit 4gb ram install 2gb usable - Help please

Jimbob7

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have seen a few posts on this before but have still not gotten it to work properly.

I have just build my first ever PC build. with Windows 7 64bit (Definitely 100% 64bit). All is working except the ram. Windows is showing 4gb installed but only 1.99gb usable.

According to what I have read I need to enable memory remapping in the bios. I checked this and it is already enabled.

No maximum memory is set in the boot tab of MSconfig.

Resource monitor shows 2057mb reserved for use by the bios and some drivers and other peripherals.

Does anyone have any ideas of what might be causing this and how to resolve it please?

Thanks

I have a :
i5 750
P7P55D LE
2*2GB 1600mhz crucial DDR3 duel channel config (I understand that with i5 the system can only use 1333mhz but I think that just means it just doesn't take full advantage of it).

Edit: Re-installing windows did not work. Again definitely 64bit!

Edit2: Updated the bios, no joy.

Last edited:
It does sound like you only have a 32-bit Windows but you seem to be sure that is not the case. There are devices that 'steal' RAM like embedded video cards. So I'd place my bets on a bios option. Have you tried setting the defaults back?

Thanks for the reply. All options say 64bit. I am 100% sure. I am about to reinstall windows and will then update the bios.

I will try setting back to default before updating the bios.

This is really bugging me now!

Thanks for the reply. All options say 64bit. I am 100% sure. I am about to reinstall windows and will then update the bios.

I will try setting back to default before updating the bios.

This is really bugging me now!

I have updated the bios and reinstalled windows 7 HP 64bit.

If it was because my ram is not supported by my mobo would it simply just not show up, rather than showing up and saying 4gb installed (1.99gb useable)?

Yeah, then it most likely wouldn't show up, work at a reduced speed, or simply not boot.

Perhaps you could go over the bios options more carefully? As a last resort update it (this involves a risk. Do NOT do it if you are uneasy with this). Now, I'd have to look this up, but I believe win7 could be configured for using RAM as a fast harddrive. I'll google it in case I'm just talking pants here. But that might be where your RAM has gone to.

It does seem like you BIOS has recognised the RAM. I'll get back to this.

Resource monitor shows 2057mb reserved for use by the bios and some drivers and other peripherals.

Does the resource manager tell you the RAM is "hardware reserved"? (is that what you mean with the sentence I have quoted?) If so, we are getting somewhere as you are not the only one suffering from this.

Last edited:
Does the resource manager tell you the RAM is "hardware reserved"? (is that what you mean with the sentence I have quoted?) If so, we are getting somewhere as you are not the only one suffering from this.

Yes that's exactly it.

I am now starting to think it is a faulty slot on the motherboard. I tried my 2 dimms in different configurations and have had this result. There are 4 slots (A1 A2 B1 and B2) on the board, for dual channel the manual states dimms should be inserted in A1 and B1. The board should also except single channel.

In A1 B1 mode I get the 1.99gb useable message. If I configure single channel in bank A I can not get the machine to boot.

If I configure single channel in bank B it boots fine with all 4gb and no memory reserved.

Does this sound like a faulty board or a funny setting?

Note: I have updated my bios, which did not work

I've built like a dozen computers, and everytime they need to act up lol. The curse of homebuilding I'm afraid:rolleyes:
The ice is thin with PC-components. I'm first going to check up on what hardware reserved truly indicates (a fault or something else).

So, A1 and B1 are the blue memory slots, correct? What happens if you put the sticks in the black slots?

I also have a second idea what this can be. I hope you like testing ( a lot). Please note you should ground yourself every time you deal with the internals of your computer. Best is also to unplug it.

1. Put stick 1 in A2, does the PC boot (with 2GB of recognised RAM)?
  2. Put the same stick in the next slot A1. Same question.
  3. Next B2. Same question.
  4. Next B1 Same question.
---------

1. Put stick 2 in A2, does the PC boot (with 2GB of recognised RAM).
  2. Put the same stick in the next slot A1. Same question.
  3. Next B2. Same question.
  4. Next B1 Same question.
I'm guessing all worked fine? Then I would look up your RAM's operating voltage (check on Crucial's website) and slightly increase it within save bounds. That once saved my *ss as my PC behaved strangely and would not run my RAM at the spec'ed speed. Do this one step at a time and don't overdo it. When doing this you would have both sticks in place.

If I configure single channel in bank B it boots fine with all 4gb and no memory reserved.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this.

Edit. You may want to try this FIRST as it is a less lot hassle than my above suggestion:

1)Press Start -> Run

2)Type "msconfig"

3)Go under the "Boot" tab

4)Click "Advanced options" button

5)UNcheck "Maximum memory"

6)Reboot

Last edited:
Thanks mate, I'll give it a try, but am a bit concerned about boosting the voltage as I have never done any type of OC'ing before.

Yes A1 and B1 are the blue ones.

The quote you made, what I meant was that if I put either dimm in B1 or both in B1 and B2 then the machine will boot fine and will not reserve any memory so all 4gb is usable.

If I do the same in A1 and or A2 the system will not boot.

So it looks like A1 could be a faulty socket.

The bit that I don't get is that if it is a faulty dim why does it show that 4gb is in there and reserve 2gb rather than just saying 2gb only?

Thanks mate, I'll give it a try, but am a bit concerned about boosting the voltage as I have never done any type of OC'ing before.

It's not really OC'ing. Sometimes they just don't get enough juice. I only had to do 2 tiny increments. But, non-voltage related tinkering is preferred. You have got RAM from a good vendor so it shouldn't be an issue really.
Believe me, I searched a lot before boosting the voltage on mine.

So, you might want to try my edit part. I found that through google and that looks like a pretty safe thing to try (just make sure you remember what you change though).

The quote you made, what I meant was that if I put either dimm in B1 or both in B1 and B2 then the machine will boot fine and will not reserve any memory so all 4gb is usable.

If I do the same in A1 and or A2 the system will not boot.

So it looks like A1 could be a faulty socket.

So you are saying the machine will NOT boot with either dimm in A1? Yes this does sound disconcerning. I suppose you know B1/B2 does not give you dual channel? What does A2/B2 do? Because that is dual channel and if it is a voltage issue, this shouldn't work either I suppose.

The bit that I don't get is that if it is a faulty dim why does it show that 4gb is in there and reserve 2gb rather than just saying 2gb only?

if you want to rule out a faulty dim. Just put that one single dimm in the A1 slot and use memtest (you might want to do this for both dimms). If you get errors, the RAM or slot may be faulty. So you then put the RAM in another slot you know that works (from your previous testing) and memtest again. If there are again errors, the module is faulty, if not, it's slot A1.

Last edited:
Thanks again. I have tried your edit and the box was not checked in the first place.

Yes with either dimm in A1 it will not boot (at least I think I tried both dimms, i will check again when I get home just to be sure).

Sorry to be stupid but how do you run memtest? I will try this to confirm which way round the issue is.

I have looked at memory remapping on the bios and it was enabled by default.

So, we are down to:

- Slot is faulty
- Dimms are faulty (but not likely)
- Slot is underpowered

Some boards have an option for memtest but if the pc doesn't boot with an inserted module, then you can't really test that slot. For boards without build in memtest you can just download a bootable iso and burn it to disc.

Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Last edited:
I think it is a faulty slot, but wishing it isn't. So to test the slot being underpowered I configure dual channel and the boot the bios and put the ram voltage up ever so slightly?

I think the ram is meant to be 1.65v but any more than this is not recommended for i5 cpu's. So if I boost it a little could I cause any damage to other components?

Thanks for all of your help so far!

I have to go to my brother's this evening. I can't recall whether I boosted mem. controller voltage or the memory (I have an AMD system he has a core I5 just like you and an Asrock board). I'm pretty sure it was the memory itself I boosted. Or perhaps I'm talking about the same here. Option names changes one time too often for me to keep remembering.

_just now_ I remember a safer way:D tone down the clock frequeny of the memory. Make it 1066 mhz. That should more or less perform the same trick. If it boots then, and you up the frequency again and it fails to boot... then I'm reasonably sure it is the voltage.
Having said that...
Normally you can't fry anything with just a small boost. However, big however, you must make sure at which voltage the modules run. Let's say they run at 1,45 and you thought it was 1,65 ... well you get the picture:).

Ok good idea, I will try that when I get home.

I will keep you posted, cheers.

I think you should try to use A2/B2 and see whether that works. Also loosen the memory timings and lower the frequency in an attempt to rule out the voltage thing. AMD is more prone to voltage issues than Intel so this may end up being a long shot...

If it does boot with A2/B2, you may consider RMA'ing the Mobo (god I hate to RMA stuff as that means one has to wait to play with the new toy:D).

Haha bent pin huh. I would never for the life of me thought of that. You may want to peek inside the memory slot to see whether all looks okay in there. After all, What are the odds a cpu pin is bent on yours too:).

Very slight I'm sure, but it might the mobos are from the same batch. If the A2 B2 slots and the voltage don't solve it, it must be worth a look at the pins.

It might make sense thought as the memory controller is on the CPU.

I'm willing to try anything before RMA, especially as I have a feeling they would just say it is fine and send back.

From google there seem to be a lot of threads out there about win 7 doing this on different mobo's and loads of different options on fixing so I have a feeling that it should be fixable somehow.

I'll let you know how I get on.

I have just tried taking the ram down to 1066mhz and no go. I am now going to try the voltage.

Edit: Before I do, my setting for the voltage is currently on auto. if I put it up it goes to 1.10 and goes up in 0.05v. How do I know what the auto setting was originally and how do I know if its getting dodgy to put up any more?

Last edited:
Ok I have just taken the CPU out and found a missing pin on the mobo. This could be it. I think I have now tried everything possible.

Any other suggestions anyone before I sort out a return?

Take a picture perhaps? A missing pin would indeed be the reason. Sorry for the late reply. Had a busy weekend!

Last edited:
No worries mate. I have taken a photo but I can't get a decent enough shot to show it with my camera.

I would still really like to not return the board ,as I bought it from these forums and the seller has been really good about everything, but I think I am running out of choices.

I see the problem you are in. It's kind of hard to test your parts with another motherboard. Perhaps you can borrow a camera and set it to macro mode to display the issue to the seller?

At least we have done what we can to find out what is wrong...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom