Question Win 10 won't boot, dead Ssd?

Samsun

Hi chaps,

My win 10 install won't boot, I just get a blue screen as attached image. I've created a recovery USB drive but the repair options in that don't work. In command prompt I've tried to access the C drive but I only get the info in the attached, it should show me the root folder I believe.

This is leading me to think the ssd is dead. Any thoughts or advance on that?

On a separate hdd I have a system image made using ease todo backup. So my current plan is to buy a new ssd and fresh install windows, then restore from that backup.

Any other ideas or advice welcome!

Attachments

• 20200902_183633.jpg
    20200902_183633.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 20200902_182757.jpg
    20200902_182757.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 49

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
I have had similar on a HP laptop.
I had already replaced the original SSD with a larger one (Crucial) when this first happened. After many months, I had a BSOD like yours, and the C: drive was "empty".
I only recovered it by a fresh install and recovered my files from my backup. Machine worked fine for many months but then it happened again. Rinse and repeat two or three times, each with a fairly long elapsed time between. Seemingly random, but there must have been an underlying cause. I don't believe it's a virus (etc). Same recovery each time.

Eventually, I decided to replace that SSD. Samsung this time. Fresh install and file recovery again. By this time, I had wanted to rule out excess heat build up so the machine (which is normally used as if a desktop i.e. on a desk, connected to the mains, an external monitor and various peripherals) got stood on a stand to keep it away from the desk surface to help ventilation. No problems until.........I took it away to a hotel and used it on the room desk. After only maybe a couple of hours' use, it died again in the same manner, at which point, all I had was a large and heavy USB charger for my phone!

Back home, I pulled out the SamsungSSD and stuck it into a caddy, and connected it to another machine. Main partition (ex C: drive) empty. But data recovery software found all(?) the files on that "empty" drive. Anyhow, reinstalled and recovered files and it's been working since.

Conclusion:
1: I believe it IS heat related. Not happening when on its stand at home. It can easily be on all day when it's used in this manner.
2: I believe that the file allocation table (only) is getting corrupted or cleared when it does this.
3: I still believe it's not a virus. The OS was fresh installed each time and files recovered from backup. I nowadays use a different machine, and the same files were recovered from the same backup when I started with that - and the same thing has not happened to that (touch wood) after about a year of mixed use - on the stand AND on a desk/lap/table/etc.....

Samsun

Thanks for the reply. Not sure my issue is down to heat as its a desktop and it has 2 intake fans blowing directly at my disk drives.

Might try to reformat it and install fresh and see what happens. Will probably get a new ssd anyway as pretty cheap at the moment

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the reply. Not sure my issue is down to heat as its a desktop and it has 2 intake fans blowing directly at my disk drives.

Might try to reformat it and install fresh and see what happens. Will probably get a new ssd anyway as pretty cheap at the moment

The wider point is that data loss isn't necessarily down to the drive itself.

The drive clearly isn't dead if you can query it for it's contents, even if those contents no longer exist. I'd say that it's worth restoring to your current drive and seeing what happens.

Samsun

The wider point is that data loss isn't necessarily down to the drive itself.

The drive clearly isn't dead if you can query it for it's contents, even if those contents no longer exist. I'd say that it's worth restoring to your current drive and seeing what happens.
Thanks, a project for the weekend then :smashin:

Atomic77

hmm It doesn't look like its dead to me. did you read what the blue screen says? It says windows repair did you do what it says?

Samsun

hmm It doesn't look like its dead to me. did you read what the blue screen says? It says windows repair did you do what it says?
I've tried every option I could see using the GUI from a recovery USB stick but nothing worked

Samsun

Have you tried to recreate the boot block? Tried sfc /scannow?
Thanks for the suggestion, not entirely sure what this means though. Do I just need to access the C drive from command prompt as I did in my screenshot, and type sfc/scannow?

Bolosun

Get to your C drive from the command prompt - run the command prompt as administrator - run a chkdsk to check the integrity. Then run sfc /scannow to fix any issues with the o/s. If you type chkdsk or sfc followed by /? it will show you the options available. Make sure you have backed up any important files or data before doing any of these.
Have a look at this article to fix the bootloader

Samsun

Get to your C drive from the command prompt - run the command prompt as administrator - run a chkdsk to check the integrity. Then run sfc /scannow to fix any issues with the o/s. If you type chkdsk or sfc followed by /? it will show you the options available. Make sure you have backed up any important files or data before doing any of these.
Have a look at this article to fix the bootloader
Thanks for the advice, I tried it all with no luck, hit various errors - also tried the tips in the article you linked to but same result.

I ended up going for a reinstall as I had a backup anyway. It failed with the recovery media so I made a fresh installation USB with the media creation tool. In that I could see the full drive again, with correct GBs shown - tried repairing again but no luck. Initially installation also failed too as it said something about my drive being mbr when it should be gpt. Managed to convert it back to gpt (I assume this was the problem all along), and then installed fine so drive is not dead at least. Decided to keep the fresh install and reinstall stuff I need as was probably due a clearout anyway.

Thanks the help all.

Bolosun

There is another command you could of tried. Have a look here for the info.
I found this when I had issues with my system (which also uses a SSD boot drive). It was the only way I could repair it once all other options failed, apart from a complete rebuild. What I do have now is a prebuilt drive with all my stuff on it, that I can copy the whole drive from, and then just restore my email and documents from.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom