• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Wilson Benesch ACT

stereo2222

Standard Member
I'd seriously appreciate help. I am having problems which I don't understand.

My hifi system is Leema CD player, Tucana/Hydra integrated and power amplifiers, Transparent Audio cable.... and Wilson Benesch ACT speakers.

I've had the system for 6 months.

In that time, the midrange speaker cones have failed twice. Initially I felt I might have 'turned it up' too much, too soon.... and replaced the cones. But its happened again, with no reason. Worked great, then sudden loss of sound. Tweeters/bass, no problem; mid range... zilch.

What is up? Can anyone advise? This sounded like a match made in heaven, but am I wrong? Are the components mismatched? Have I been unlucky and got dud speakers? What can I do?

Desperate for advice!!

Mr_Sukebe

Only a couple of ideas come to mind:
1. You really have cranked it well up. I see that the Tucana is a far from weedy amp and might well have the ability to over-power the ACTs. Having said that, you've said that you're surprised, implying that you don't think you've played them that loud.
2. Do you leave you amps powered up when you're out, or do you have unruly kids/lodgers around? It's possible that if you've left them powered up and have had some kind of weird mains spike that the speakers have been hit by a real noise spike.

karkus30

Banned
There are no reports of WB drive unit faults. The interesting thing is you say they failed in both speakers. Did you have a look and see what caused the previous failure.......you can usually pull the unit apart and it will be apparent if the coils are burnt or damaged.

There are a few options

1). You just have a dud batch of drives which is fairly unlikely.

2). There is some sort of fault with the X overs in both units.

3). The only other thing that damages units is mechanical damage - dropping the unit would be nasty, or a strong DC pulse which would indicate a faulty ampifier.

You need to have a look at those original units if you can.

With the new units.
If you gently push the cones in do they feel a bit rough and grating ?

Damage to both units would suggest an amplifier problem, like an unusual amount of DC being present on the outputs ?

Very weird, it will be interesting to know the conclusion.

stereo2222

Standard Member
Thanks for those replies.

Karkus, when the drivers are pushed, they do move in and out smoothly with no grating (unlike the first occasion, when the cone on 1 speaker was grating). That time I conceded that I prob turned on the power a bit too high, and was happy to pay for replacement drivers.

This time I have been very careful to not exceed 50% on the amplifiers, and cannot account for why there is a problem. Mindyou, I'd still have expected speakers of that quality to handle anything these amps would output. (After all, my little BandW standmounts don't seem to have a problem with the set up!)

I have emailed Wilson, so hopefully an explanation will be forthcoming.

karkus30

Banned
Thanks for those replies.

Karkus, when the drivers are pushed, they do move in and out smoothly with no grating (unlike the first occasion, when the cone on 1 speaker was grating). That time I conceded that I prob turned on the power a bit too high, and was happy to pay for replacement drivers.

This time I have been very careful to not exceed 50% on the amplifiers, and cannot account for why there is a problem. Mindyou, I'd still have expected speakers of that quality to handle anything these amps would output. (After all, my little BandW standmounts don't seem to have a problem with the set up!)

I have emailed Wilson, so hopefully an explanation will be forthcoming.

It will be an interesting discussion. The Neat speakers I own are tested with a 500watt pa amplifier at full volume for 8 hours and show no damage.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom