Willy's Wonderland Movie Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Thanks Cas, great review as always. Nic Cage is definitely on a roll and this sounds right up my street.

Been looking forward to this since seeing the trailer! Will have to watch this weekend.... Although had also hoped to fit in Tammy and the T-Rex.....

Ooooohh, this looks like fun! Thanks for the heads-up. Will definitely be putting this on my watch list.

Thanks Cas, I may need to watch this to unleash my inner frustration, without unleashing my inner frustration.
And, yeah, Bruce Willis has been phoning them in for a while, but
Die Hard
Fifth Element
Married to Demi Moore (The DM good years).

He's paid his dues to our entertainment needs! :)

Mandy was one of the worst movies iv ever seen. Thought i had been pranked when a friend recommended it to me. Utter garbage

Mandy was one of the worst movies iv ever seen. Thought i had been pranked when a friend recommended it to me. Utter garbage
Mandy was just 'different'. It is not short on performance or craftsmanship.

Last edited by a moderator:
I lasted 30 mins before i turned it off, 20 mins too long.

Conversely, I think it's my favourite film of the last 5 years.

Shall I start singing "Ebony and Ivory" again?
Tom, Seriously, my wife hates that McCartney/Wonder song.
(Equally with anything by R.E.M.)
She's from Kentucky. You reallly do not want to make her angry.
Really.

Im always up for Nicholas Cage films, still think face off is brilliant, always rewatch when on tv. Or the rock for that matter.
Bond and castor troy in the same film whats not to like.

Yet to see Mandy, though remember reading a review saying it was an 11 on the cageometer.

This sounds interesting with nicholas cage doing a kurt Russell (Soldier) where he hardly utters a word for the film.
Having the soundtrack reflect him sounds bonkers.

Cas where would you rate Cage on the cageometer in this?

Any film where Nic Cage has a non-speaking part has to be an improvement.
As opposed to the others where he invariably has a non-acting part.
Saw Mark Kermode giving this a bit of a kicking on the BBC film review thingy this morning, so I reckon I'll heed his advice.

Well I really don’t know where to begin or end after watching this. Colour me a rainbow, dip me in hallucinogen and throw me into a Dali painting.
Has to be one of the most absurd surreal and bombastic movies I’ve ever watched. Kill, drink and clean, rinse and repeat and throw in some of the worst acting I’ve seen in quite some time. Not Nic Cage though as he is like Cas said in full on Mandy mode throughout, minus the talking.

Id say The Rock is my favourite Cage movie. Still holds up well to this day. Gonna watch Willys Wonderland tonight just for the hell of it. Iv played the 5 nights at freddys games in VR so its clear what they are ripping off here

Im always up for Nicholas Cage films, still think face off is brilliant, always rewatch when on tv. Or the rock for that matter.
Bond and castor troy in the same film whats not to like.

Yet to see Mandy, though remember reading a review saying it was an 11 on the cageometer.

This sounds interesting with nicholas cage doing a kurt Russell (Soldier) where he hardly utters a word for the film.
Having the soundtrack reflect him sounds bonkers.

Cas where would you rate Cage on the cageometer in this?
Hard, Cage is always pretty high on the spectrum, if Mandy was 11, this is probably more like an 8+.

Key to remember though, is the film simply wouldn't work without Cage being Cage.

Any film where Nic Cage has a non-speaking part has to be an improvement.
As opposed to the others where he invariably has a non-acting part.
Saw Mark Kermode giving this a bit of a kicking on the BBC film review thingy this morning, so I reckon I'll heed his advice.
So you didn't rate him in Face Off, Leaving Las Vegas, The Rock, Gone in sixty seconds, Lord of War, The Weather Man? Fair enough. Yes, he has done a whole pile of bad performances, but it's not all bad to me.

The thing about Cage for me is the sheer quantity of movies he makes and usually as the leading actor. I doubt there’s another movie actor today who has comparable output in terms of quantity. He’s rocks and diamonds, just have to find the good ones.

Id say The Rock is my favourite Cage movie. Still holds up well to this day. Gonna watch Willys Wonderland tonight just for the hell of it. Iv played the 5 nights at freddys games in VR so its clear what they are ripping off here
I love everything about The Rock. Cannot even say why. Yes it has a bunch of my favourite Actors in it, but....
Like The Hunt For Red October, I can put it on anytime & watch it enthralled.

I love everything about The Rock. Cannot even say why. Yes it has a bunch of my favourite Actors in it, but....
Like The Hunt For Red October, I can put it on anytime & watch it enthralled.

Yeah i watched around a year ago and still loved it. The car chase scene, the storming Alcatraz. The part where they go to bomb the place and Cage is on his knees with the flares was so well shot. I think Whedon took some inspiration from it in the first Avengers movie when they send the nuke and Ironman then guides it up into the wormhole

So you didn't rate him in Face Off, Leaving Las Vegas, The Rock, Gone in sixty seconds, Lord of War, The Weather Man? Fair enough. Yes, he has done a whole pile of bad performances, but it's not all bad to me.
I'll give you Leaving Las Vegas as it was one of his rare performances when he reigned in the histrionics for a change.
Gone in Sixty Seconds was ok, although marred by the wife asking if it was about my sexual prowess.

This movie is obviously the result of the widespread relaxation of rules regarding the use of recreational drugs.

Insane, nuts, bonkers.

Loved it.

Is this as over the top mad as say a Bruce Campbell performance? If so, i'm in.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom