Willsky boxes start "phoning home" via anytime plus?

pdoherty76

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have been reading about these well known scams for getting free sky box office. I won't go into them, I am sure you all know what they are.

Anyway, all of them rely on the fact that you won't be billed if you never plug your sky box back into a phoneline. This suits many people and I am sure there are thousands of people who are sat with box office orders on their cards that have never been phoned in to sky.

Now, my question is, with sky boxes being plugged into routers for sky anytime, will all these people start recieving huge bills for PPV movies that they thought they had stolen years ago?:D

I'm not sure the technology exists within the Sky box to allow information to be sent back that way. The PPV movies are stored on the viewing card which then sends the info via the dial-up modem. It may be possible but while there are more boxes with phone line connected than have anytime+ I highly doubt it.

I'm not sure the technology exists within the Sky box to allow information to be sent back that way. The PPV movies are stored on the viewing card which then sends the info via the dial-up modem. It may be possible but while there are more boxes with phone line connected than have anytime+ I highly doubt it.

This is sky we are talking about, they don't miss a trick.

I am sure they could set this up with a simple update to the box and an option in their anytime server to take ppv orders from the box.

If I have thought of it then I am sure the people at sky have.

I just had sky hd with anytime+ and multiroom for the old sky+ box installed and the fitter didn't fit the modem cable, just the network cable to the router. I await a phone call or letter from sky to say my phone line is unplugged.

Last edited:
If you don't have multiroom they won't be interested in the phone connection.
If you want to pay them for silly games and films that will soon be on anyway you can connect it yourself.

Sorry should have said I had my old sky+ box fitted as multiroom with new sky card. I will amend my post to show Thx

OK - I'd get them back to fix it then - it's part of the installation so no point in paying to get it and fix it yourself.
It's very odd that he did instal the network cable though as that's NOT in the installation.

My question is; All these people who have used the old tricks to get the free sky box office (you know who you are), will they dare plug the sky box into the router? Some people have been stung with £200 bills for stuff they used years previously, because someone plugged a phoneline in.

This anytime+ could prove very expensive for some people.

My question is; All these people who have used the old tricks to get the free sky box office (you know who you are), will they dare plug the sky box into the router? Some people have been stung with £200 bills for stuff they used years previously, because someone plugged a phoneline in.
That's rather unlikely! The Sky smartcards typically have their credit limit set to ~£30!

That's rather unlikely! The Sky smartcards typically have their credit limit set to ~£30!

It all depends. I believe some boxes are set to no credit limit. I heard the limit was £50.

I did see a post on another forum where a woman got a £226 bill for box office watched in the last 5 years.

Anyway, it is all conjecture, it may not happen but sky have always had the problem of the return path and getting people to plug their phone lines in. THis could solve it for them if they eventually get a majority of customers to use the ethernet port on their boxes.

That's one of the biggest "ifs" I've seen around here. :D

That's one of the biggest "ifs" I've seen around here. :D

Do you not think it is a valid point?

It is rare for sky to have a loophole and the box office phoneline loophole is one that they have never been able to close because they do not insist on a phoneline after 12 months and there is no return path through the satellite.

The anytime+ service, which many people are scrambling to get gives them a ready made voluntary return path which I suspect most people don't think of as a problem if they have unpaid for box office.

Yes, I do, "if they eventually get a majority of customers to use the ethernet port".

Last edited:
Excuse me, how am I trolling?

Can the moderators do something about this?

Last edited by a moderator:
If people, including moderators, are just going to post stuff like this then they are surely trolling my thread.

If this thread is not against the terms and conditions and you aren't going to remove it then why bother posting in it to say stuff like this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes SN, I knew that post was risky - as has just been confirmed while I was typing this one. :D

pd76: Yes, I do, "if they eventually get a majority of customers to use the ethernet port".

But isn't that what they are aiming for?

Besides, it doesn't matter how many plug it in, they may just use it as an extra safeguard and catch the people that do. I cannot believe that sky haven't thought of this and made provision for it.

Why do you consider this thread trolling?

I don't know what they're aiming for, but I'm basically agreeing with your proposition.

I don't consider this thread - not your thread, or anyone else's - as trolling but as you seem to have switched off your sense of humour I've edited my posts accordingly, and it's up to SN to do the same, or not, as he wishes.

If it will finally end this thread - YES

I don't know what they're aiming for, but I'm basically agreeing with your proposition.

That's good to hear, I am just slightly confused as to why you agreed with SN that I was a troll you were feeding.

I don't consider this thread - not your thread, or anyone else's - as trolling but as you seem to have switched off your sense of humour I've edited my posts accordingly, and it's up to SN to do the same, or not, as he wishes.

If Joe Bloggs starts a thread and you direct someone to it you usually say "Have a look at Joe Bloggs' thread". Not claiming I own it but I did start it.

I haven't turned my sense of humour off but it is getting rather tiresome to be accused of trolling in every thread I post in and when moderators join in rather than doing something about it then my patience rather runs out.

Last edited:
Why has post 15 been edited? If people can't stand by what they posted then they shouldn't post it in the first place.

:boring::boring:

I took out of post #15 the quote from SN, as he had agreed - conditionally - to delete the original.
I had already deleted my own response to the quote.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom