Wills

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Switch625, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Switch625

Switch625

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +180
    Just wondering if I can write my own will without specific solicitor or will-making services?

I don't own any property, have some savings that I'd like to go to certain beneficiaries by appointing an executor (will all be within the family).

I assume that personal items e.g. car, TV will be sorted by the executor too unless I specify them in the will.

So can it be done if I draw one up, sign it and get it witnessed? Will it be recognised after death or are they supposed to be stamped by some official organisation?

2. Abbeygoo

Abbeygoo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,063
    Yeah you don't have to go through a solicitor or specific will writer .... you can pick up a will writing pack from somewhere like WH SMith for less than a tenner that will take you through the whole process. I did it this way and it was really straightforward .... you enter your wishes and an official looking will is printed off.

You can then get this witnessed and placed in safe custody.

3. Woodywizz

Woodywizz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,047
    Just make sure that none of the beneficiaries witness the will, and this then makes it void.

It is fairly simple to do, just make the specific bequests and the rest of your property then falls within your residual estate. You can then specify how you want the residual estate divided.

It is always best to make alternative bequests as well in the event of any of the beneficiaries having died before you.

Eg - £10k to Mr X, but if Mr X is deceased upon the event of my death then that share shall pass to Mr. X's children in equal proportions.

4. alnwrd

alnwrd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
  5. Abbeygoo

Abbeygoo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,063
    I also found it really useful having a separate wishes statement for how you want your funeral to be organised .... I have everyone wearing football shirts and the theme tune to Match Of The Day when my coffin disappears from view ... ;)