Will you upgrade to the new iphone?

Will you upgrade?

• Yes

Votes: 36 62.1%
  • No

Votes: 22 37.9%

• Total voters
Yeh i will depending on what the deal is when it comes to upgrading!

Hi

I think I will if O2 will let me. As I still have ages to go on my current iphone contract.

If not I might just look on ebay

No I won't be upgrading anytime soon. Not long since got mine and I am loving it! It does everything I want it to... nothing missing at present for me.

Phone, text, web, music, video, apps.... best gadget I have bought for ages!

:thumbsup:

I've just sold my iPhone in preparation for the new one (while it still had some value left in it, just watch that drop when the new one is out).... but the answer is still 'possibly'.

For me to upgrade there must be two significant yet simple features on the new version, namely HSDPA/3G and the ability to text in landscape mode.

The former, because mobile browsing without WiFi is a painfully slow experience.
The latter, because I cannot get on with the touch keypad in anything other than the web browser which allows landscape use. Implement that ability in text messages and emails and I'll be sold :)

I probably will upgrade as long as it has at least one of: GPS and front camera. I think there's a strong possibility O2 may offer a subsidy if you extend your contract. There will definitely be a way to upgrade, and with the ease of unlocking gen 1 iPhones, they will be easy to sell for at least a few months. There's no chance Apple will make the new one easy to unlock; it would wreck their deals with AT&T, O2 etc.

There's no chance Apple will make the new one easy to unlock; it would wreck their deals with AT&T, O2 etc.

I'm not so sure. If that were the case, they would have done something in each of the firmware releases so far, as the deals were more important at the beginning of the iPhones life than they are now that it's established and has a good following and interest. They could scrap these deals and still sell just as many iPhones, probably more as people who are worried about cracking and unlocking will go for it.

Apple are also very aware that their iPhone is widely used in places it was never even sold! They will be very aware that by making it harder to unlock they will lose out on thousands upon thousands of sales from people who never had any intention of joining one of their partner networks. People just like me... if it wasn't possible to unlock, I wouldn't have bought one.

Plus, and this is the key thing for me, whatever they do somebody will crack it. That's a fact of life in this market and anything IT related. If they add some software code to stop it being unlocked (as they did in the current one) somebody will create software that gets around it. If they do something with the hardware to stop it being unlocked, the use of the Turbo SIM will increase to get around it.

If one man can make it, another can break it :)

I'm planning on upgrading to the new iphone when it is released and I'd like to sell my current iphone before its value drops by too much. Bearing this in mind, is there any way that I can back up the iphone contacts so when I u/g I can just transfer them back across to the new phone? I know they can be sync'd with Outlook but I don't want to do this and don't know whether Outlook would store the iPhone format anyway.

Anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks

Every time you sync with itunes it backs up your contacts, photos and settings. You just plug in your new phone and restore it with the backup in itunes.

Excellent, thanks. Would it restore automatically? If not, how do I do that?

Most things will automatically restore the next time you connect, but if you connect a brand new iPhone that's never been connected before, there is no guarantee that it will restore back to that new phone. That's especially true if there are any major software changes to the new version, as it might be impossible to put iPhone 1 settings onto an iPhone 2.

Photos, music etc will be no trouble though :)

Couldn't possibly say without knowing what a new model will bring....

(I said iPhone 2 would feature a second attempt to block unlocking.)
I'm not so sure. If that were the case, they would have done something in each of the firmware releases so far, as the deals were more important at the beginning of the iPhones life than they are now that it's established and has a good following and interest. They could scrap these deals and still sell just as many iPhones, probably more as people who are worried about cracking and unlocking will go for it.
You may be right, but currently I disagree, so here's the slightly longer story.

Long term the big threat to the carriers is that wireless internet destroys their voice revenues with VOIP. Apple and iPhone are champing at the bit for that day. Collectively the carriers want to keep the handset guys under control, and they have succeeded very well up to now by making it appear that handsets are free, and the service is expensive, dictating handset specifications and standing between handset makers and users. But Apple will never surrender its end-user relationship to an intermediary. That's why Apple needs a partner in each territory, who gets a competitive advantage, by stealing subscribers from other carriers, that outweighs the acceleration of carrier business towards commodity status. So Apple needs to do two things: block unlocking, and block VOIP over the voice network to keep the carrier is satisfied until it won't matter any more.

Selling large numbers of handsets is not a good enough result for Apple - look at the state of Moto; they can sell handsets, but they can't make a profit from them. Service revenues are the only way forward, and Nokia is scrabbling to put an iTunes store equivalent in place. As Apple adds services to the iPhone package available only through the preferred carrier, locking will gradually become less relevant, but it's still relevant now.

Coming round to the recent "battle" between Apple and hackers over unlocking / jailbreaking iPhone 1. How else were they to battle harden the software? Why leave visible a weak root password like "dottie" if you didn't intend hackers to swarm all over this and find the weaknesses inside? This whole setup has driven iPhone buzz for a year, has seeded iPhone all over the world with no sales or support costs, created iPhone expertise worldwide ready for iPhone 2, and guaranteed every iPhone made can be sold at retail price for the grey market, even as iPhone 2 is imminent.

This time round there is worldwide distribution (70 countries announced and counting). No way will Apple not give it their best shot at keeping unlocking and jailbreaking under control; they need it for at least another year. As compensation, I suspect iPhone 2 will have the usual carrier subsidies to tempt you into the carrier's clutches.

It's beginning to look as though this is the real iPhone launch, and iPhone 1 was just a first pass. The iPhone UI patent application has just been released. It is very detailed and includes videoconferencing, GPS, blogging, IM etc.

A recent story about customs declarations on US imports by Apple has been picked up by Forbes. New iPhone is already here. If there's any truth to it, that's an awful lot of iPhones.

The new iPhone now has distribution in 69 countries.

The .Mac service looks as though it will become a service for iPhones. 10.5.3 includes rebranding of .Mac; all internal Macs at Apple Inc have to be upgraded this week - so expect some features corresponding to Exchange server (e.g push calendar; to-do sync etc).

The press embarrassed themselves with the free publicity they gave iPhone 1's launch. I think they are trying not to comment at the moment, but as usual, the rumors are coming thick & fast.

Im pretty sure i will upgrade, this time on an o2 contract. My just under 2 month old iphone has got loads of problems and because its unlocked i cnat get them fixed by apple so the only way to safeguard against problems is to go with o2 and retain the warranty.

I would do if i) O2 allow it for existing iPhone owners; and ii) the cost isn't prohibitive; and iii) they do not make me do a new 18 month contract.

I really hope i) happens. I think that anything more than £100 will too much, and I think they will make me do iii) !

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom