Will you install the NHS COVID-19 track and trace app on your Smartphone?

Have you installed the latest (24th September) track and trace app on your Smartphone?

• Yes

Votes: 43 51.2%
  • No

Votes: 31 36.9%
  • undecided

Votes: 10 11.9%

• Total voters
I know an alternative App is being looked into, but what's the latest on the Isle of Wight App? The last news I read was that 40% of the people had downloaded it, far more than I had thought. Is it up and running yet and are there any findings so far?

Every good plan should start something along the lines of "This is Plan A. Plan B is in the top drawer of my desk"

Personally I'm pleased that the Gov is dev/trialling more than one app.

They started with their own which was risky from the start instead of choosing one which Google and Apple collaborated on and a number of other countries have working.

Response last night to applicants for home-working contact tracing app jobs ...
Good evening,

Thank you for your online application for this role. Unfortunately earlier today the roles were put on hold. This is due to a delay in the launch of the ‘Track and Trace’ App itself while the government considers an alternative App.

As and when the App (or an alternative) goes live, we will re-consider those applications already received, however please be aware that we have received an unprecedented number of applications for this role and therefore not all suitable candidates will be able to be put forward for the limited number of roles.

We would like to thank you for your time in applying and wish you all the very best.

Kind regards,
HR GO Recruitment

@krish They're fobbing you off mate. Didn't you mention your CSEs in woodwork and travel &tourism? You've got to sell yourself, they're not going to take just anyone.

In fact, the way it's going, they're probably not going to need anyone, we'll all be dead or recovered before it's up and running.

No no no. We don't trust the tech giants for privacy.
The UK knows better and has excellent record of past software creations ;)

We'll make out own so it's 100% guaranteed to be secure and private...

Oh dear :(

That didn't take long :rotfl:
Perfect illustration of why centrally stored, de-anonymised data is a terrible idea for a project like this.

Serco, a company that was already prosecuted for defrauding the government in the past, why are they even considered for something like this, they shouldn't be anywhere near government work and taxpayers money.

Serco, a company that was already prosecuted for defrauding the government in the past, why are they even considered for something like this, they shouldn't be anywhere near government work and taxpayers money.
As John Ruskin, a social thinker in the 19c, once said, "It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little."...

Whilst it’s a stupid thing to do, it wasn’t the data from the system that was shared. It was a manual email that was sent exposing the private email addresses of the staff due for training.

Still very bad...

This is sort of stuff I mentioned way back in this thread only to have sarcastic comments about people being paranoid. Like I said then, nothing to do with paranoid, its to do with breaches of personal data and the fact as I said it is not truly anonymised data. Then people wonder why they get so many scammed calls\emails\data breaches:facepalm:

As for SERCO, had the unfortunate to have seen how useless their IT is, the government should not be using companies like them, utterly utterly incompetent IMHO.

7 isn't really very many for an app that's essentially in alpha.

I'd be interested to see a Pen Test report for the back end. Not that we'll get to see it, unfortunately.

There was so much promise and they turned it into mud.

UK Government (any party) and IT projects.

Two things that should be kept as far away from each other as possible.

And a few other projects.

It's interesting to explore the logic with some people.

OMG I'm not going to use anything designed by Apple/Google as you can't trust them to keep your data private.
I'd rather trust the UK government more.

Why don't the UK government like the Apple/Google method?
It's too secret as the data never leaves your phone and they can't work out where you are in the country.

So it's too secure for the government, but some people want this as they don't trust Apple/Google to be secure enough.

There's logic for you :)

Much better than I would expect for an app developed so quickly. And totally normal to accept risks for certain elements.

So yes, from that perspective it is going well indeed.

Surely the nature of the bugs is more important than the number. It seems the bugs they have found are of quite serious nature, and it does raise serious privacy concerns along with the possibility of blocking notifications or sending false ones - that undoes everything the app is supposed to do.

Surely the nature of the bugs is more important than the number. It seems the bugs they have found are of quite serious nature, and it does raise serious privacy concerns along with the possibility of blocking notifications or sending false ones - that undoes everything the app is supposed to do.
Neither is more important. The impact of the vulnerability and the likelihood of that happening will determine the priority. As per the report, they committed to fix some, and some they said they would not or do later. That is a very standard approach. Such test reports always include Some interesting elements, I’d be questioning the credentials of the security testers if they didn’t. Really not a big deal or just unusual.

But yes many people not used to what they are looking at may think otherwise.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom