Will you install the NHS COVID-19 track and trace app on your Smartphone?

gavinhanly

Distinguished Member
Looking at that report (the write up of the main flaws), I'd say the flaw that allows notifications to be intercepted would be a must-fix before roll-out.

The other main one seems to be a privacy concern - so that's less a technical issue. However, it is one that could prevent people downloading - so it's up to them to decide what's more important - the data or the app performing its supposed primary function.

I see that the new iOS with the Covid features and API is out today. Which countries are going to be using that?

Luminated67

I hope with in the next few weeks to know a bit more about this because my cousin has been asked to take on one of these jobs to chase up outbreaks etc.

I absolutely despair for the elderly to try and follow the guidelines especially if wearing masks become compulsory because whilst on the door at my supermarket business controlling the numbers in store I had an elderly woman put on her rubber gloves, pressing them to her mouth and blowing into them then constantly touching and refitting her ill fitting mask and watched her at the till pulling it down each and every time she spoke.

I think for most people the chances of catching it are far greater wearing the gear than not. Just don’t touch your face and regularly wash your hands, can’t be simpler than that.

richp007

Distinguished Member
People don't care for technicalities, if it turns out to be the case they'll just see that it has security flaws (no doubt presented nicely by the media) and think twice about downloading it.

Needs to be presented as squeaky clean as possible so people will have confidence in using it.

iangreasby

Will it work for a specific distance range, i.e can the App differentiate between a contact at 2 metres away and one at 5 metres? Also, when you get a "ping", will you be advised of when/where the contact with an infected person took place, was it inside or outdoors? I haven't got a phone that does Apps, but if I had, I'm not sure if I would go into immediate self-isolation on the basis of vague information. Maybe I'm underestimating the App's capabilities, but I haven't been able to read any detailed information as yet.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
It cannot be specific because behaviour of the radio part of Bluetooth varies a lot from model to model of phone.
The sensitivity isn't even, it will be noticeably less sensitive in some directions.

iangreasby

It cannot be specific because behaviour of the radio part of Bluetooth varies a lot from model to model of phone.
The sensitivity isn't even, it will be noticeably less sensitive in some directions.
How about details relating to the contact, where/when/indoors/outdoors?

mcbainne

Distinguished Member
Good on them for taking the sensible route.
As has been seen with steps for reducing lockdown - we’re hardly a united kingdom any longer.
Makes sense for them to go down that route given the nature of their island and that it removes the concerns over the data use

fat jez

Makes sense for them to go down that route given the nature of their island and that it removes the concerns over the data use
Yes, especially given the number of people who live on one side of the border and work/are educated on the other.

tickedon

I won't be installing the app, but that's due to concerns about the isolation requirements rather than privacy or app quality concerns.

Without app or tracing, if you start displaying/experiencing coronavirus symptoms and test negative, you can stop isolating (hurray).

Via the App, or contact tracing, you are asked to isolate for 14 days BUT if you start displaying/experiencing symptoms and test negative, you are still required to complete the isolation period.

They can shout 'the science' as much as they want, it doesn't pass the common sense test. I have absolutely no need to put myself at risk of being stuck inside for 2 weeks so will be avoiding the app and avoiding any contacts (less than 2m for 15+ minutes). My common sense has got me through the last 10 weeks and I'm pretty confident can get me through the next 10 weeks too.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
I suspect that completing the fourteen days is related to false negatives, it depends on the risk level.

rfield

More updates. Almost farcical now!

Data retained in the uk database:
  1. Full name
  2. date of birth
  3. sex
  4. NHS Number
  5. home postcode and house number
  6. telephone number and email address
  7. COVID-19 symptoms, including when they started and their nature
Also asked to provide the contact details of anyone they have been in close contact with.

Oh, and that data is accessible by two external companies as well. Serco and Sitel.

The ‘best’ part though - that data is then retained for 20 years(!) if you’ve had symptoms, or 5 if you simply used the app, and ... you have no rights to ask for it to be deleted either. Wtf :rotfl:

You can read about it here direct from nhsx (page only accessible if you’re in UK).
https://contact-tracing.phe.gov.uk/help/privacy-notice

richp007

Distinguished Member
Looks to me like they're trying to get this buried in the news these days.

A complete and utter clusterfudge.

mcbainne

Distinguished Member
More updates. Almost farcical now!

Data retained in the uk database:
  1. Full name
  2. date of birth
  3. sex
  4. NHS Number
  5. home postcode and house number
  6. telephone number and email address
  7. COVID-19 symptoms, including when they started and their nature
Also asked to provide the contact details of anyone they have been in close contact with.

Oh, and that data is accessible by two external companies as well. Serco and Sitel.

The ‘best’ part though - that data is then retained for 20 years(!) if you’ve had symptoms, or 5 if you simply used the app, and ... you have no rights to ask for it to be deleted either. Wtf :rotfl:

You can read about it here direct from nhsx (page only accessible if you’re in UK).
https://contact-tracing.phe.gov.uk/help/privacy-notice
Wouldn't touch that with a very long sh*tty bargepole.....

fat jez

It's OK, GDPR and EU law means they can't do that. Oh...

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX 4K OLED TV Review: The best TV of 2020?

Latest News

TV licence fee now applies to over 75s from 1st Aug
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
New H.266 video codec promises 50 percent data saving
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Toshiba launches UL20 4K HDR TVs from £299
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG GX soundbar launches in UK
  • By Andy Bassett