Will you get the vaccine if it becomes available?

When a Covid-19 vaccine becomes available, will you take it?

• Yes / I've signed up for a trial

Votes: 107 77.0%
  • No

Votes: 32 23.0%

• Total voters
I've always been a staunch defender of the media, they're a safeguard against tyranny and repression.

But since covid hit I've almost lost all respect for them.

Mate, they may be useful bystanders against obvious tyranny and repression, but they are most definitely NOT a safeguard against or support for, any kind of scientific problem or action.

Once you have been on the wrong side of it. :eek: :eek: :eek:.

Flip back on the worst of it. Terribly irresponsible press coverage. They sell papers and advertising. Aaargh, I don't even try and and argue about it any more.

They are owned by media groups. Sensation sells media, balanced reporting does not.

The state of our democracy is the worst I can remember. Morally bankrupt politicians, unreliable and technical inept sensationalist press coverage and a new social networking capability that allows the nutters to appear credible.

We deserve everything we get. Rant over, I'll be better in the morning.

We deserve everything we get. Rant over, I'll be better in the morning.

I find these threads pretty useful for relieving stress considering I'm stuck at home on furlough with just the family for company :)

They can be pretty cathartic.

As long as we stay on topic and stay away from misinformation a rant every now and again seems to tolerated by the mods.

Anyway to stay on topic both sets of parents have now had their vaccines.

Although the one person who I wanted to get the Pfizer one (due to greater efficacy) ended up getting the Oxford vaccine. My dad, he's more fragile than the other three who all ended up with Pfizer! Ah well any vaccine is good.

The wife is now next on the list at 52 years old. The numbers suggest there's a possibility that may even be next month. April at the latest hopefully.

After that it's me. And I've just made it into the 45 and over age group this month.

Why are so many care home staff not having the vaccine and more importantly why are they still allowed to work in an environment which caters for the most venerable in society?

Why are so many care home staff not having the vaccine and more importantly why are they still allowed to work in an environment which caters for the most venerable in society?
They shouldn’t be. The government should have made it clear in no uncertain terms that this was necessary as a condition of employment under safety legislation, enforcing the Health and Safety at Work Act as necessary.
Run a basic risk assessment and you would come up with one of the worst results on the employment landscape.

At least 2 staff in my mother's care home haven't and will not be vaccinated as I just found out when I dropped some things off last night.
Before I call the care home manager.

Are there any genuine reasons for not being vaccinated?

As the only ones I can see, which are far from genuine is the usual anti-vaxx stuff, it's been rushed and I read a lot of crap on Facebook and it's against my religious beliefs to have "X" injected into me, even though it doesn't actually contain that.

Frighteningly it is in some care homes quite a large number who are refusing the vaccine but I have heard little from politicians from either the UK or Scottish governments on how they intend to deal with this issue, but I suppose given their past record on elderly and vulnerable during the pandemic I suspect it is way down their To Do list.

At least 2 staff in my mother's care home haven't and will not be vaccinated as I just found out when I dropped some things off last night.
Before I call the care home manager.

Are there any genuine reasons for not being vaccinated?

As the only ones I can see, which are far from genuine is the usual anti-vaxx stuff, it's been rushed and I read a lot of crap on Facebook and it's against my religious beliefs to have "X" injected into me, even though it doesn't actually contain that.
If you have history of severe allergic reaction maybe. Can’t think of any other grounds for refusal.

Frighteningly it is in some care homes quite a large number who are refusing the vaccine but I have heard little from politicians from either the UK or Scottish governments on how they intend to deal with this issue, but I suppose given their past record on elderly and vulnerable during the pandemic I suspect it is way down their To Do list.
Apart from allergies, if someone is on certain medication, that would disqualify them (the reason Sir Tom Moore didn't get the vaccine).

Also if someone has had Covid recently.

Apart from allergies, if someone is on certain medication, that would disqualify them (the reason Sir Tom Moore didn't get the vaccine).

Also if someone has had Covid recently.
I am not saying that there are valid reasons not to have the vaccine but we are talking at a large number here up to a fifth in some care home providers.

You do not need to have grounds for refusal as the vaccine is not mandatory.
Interesting article.
Yup, that was my point about HASAWA. In my opinion, the government should reinforce it to allow enforcement by employers. Can you think of a greater risk in the current workplace than COVID?
Excerpt:
General duties of employees at work.
It shall be the duty of every employee while at work—
(a)to take reasonable care for the health and safety of himself and of other persons who may be affected by his acts or omissions at work; and
(b)as regards any duty or requirement imposed on his employer or any other person by or under any of the relevant statutory provisions, to co-operate with him so far as is necessary to enable that duty or requirement to be performed or complied with.

Structures already there, just needs clarification. Not much leeway for objectors on safety legislation either.

They won’t do it due to the press furore it would cause, and people are going to die because of it.

Yup, that was my point about HASAWA. In my opinion, the government should reinforce it to allow enforcement by employers. Can you think of a greater risk in the current workplace than COVID?
Excerpt:
General duties of employees at work.
It shall be the duty of every employee while at work—
(a)to take reasonable care for the health and safety of himself and of other persons who may be affected by his acts or omissions at work; and
(b)as regards any duty or requirement imposed on his employer or any other person by or under any of the relevant statutory provisions, to co-operate with him so far as is necessary to enable that duty or requirement to be performed or complied with.

Structures already there, just needs clarification. Not much leeway for objectors on safety legislation either.

They won’t do it due to the press furore it would cause, and people are going to die because of it.
Only way I can see this happening is making covid vaccination a condition of employment for new employees. Followed shortly afterwards by all staff being sacked and having to reapply for their jobs....

Only way I can see this happening is making covid vaccination a condition of employment for new employees. Followed shortly afterwards by all staff being sacked and having to reapply for their jobs....
No different for me than the building trade enforcing bump caps.

Adapted legislation. As of Monday, “no helmet, no job”.

Poor figures have been released for vaccine take up in Birmingham and the Black Country. Some major work is needed to get people to have the vaccine.

Worryingly, nearly half of Black African residents deemed most at risk if they catch the virus - those who are over 70 and the extremely clinically vulnerable - have not yet taken up the vaccine offer, with a take up rate of 53%.

There is also a significantly lower uptake among the area's Caribbean, Pakistani and Bangladeshi communities, with take up rates averaging out across the four priority groups and areas of: Caribbean, 59%; Bangladeshi, 65%; Pakistani, 63%.

Among those who identify as white British, or mixed British, the takeup rate is 91%.

Poor figures have been released for vaccine take up in Birmingham and the Black Country. Some major work is needed to get people to have the vaccine.

Hopefully this new advert will help improve uptake amongst British Asians at least 🙏

I suspect most people are also not aware of just how co-ordinated anti-vaxx efforts are. Especially with the BAME communities. These numbers don't surprise me sadly.

I suspect most people are also not aware of just how co-ordinated anti-vaxx efforts are. Especially with the BAME communities. These numbers don't surprise me sadly.

Mother of my child is black, and quite a few of her family don't want it, including her mum!

Thankfully she is happy to get it, especially as she is a head co-ordinator at a college too.

But I have seen first hand how worried a lot of black people are about it being around them.

My job has been added to the list so got my first jab next Saturday and the following one booked for May. Booked both together on the website. Must say it was all incredibly smooth and easy 👍
I was turned away from the (empty) vaccination centre this morning sadly. Although my role qualifies for the jab, because I'm directly employed by my school rather than the LA, they wouldn't do it.

Rules are rules, so I can't complain, but it's very worrying that the massive vaccination centre was empty and I was turned away. Surely there must another group they should be vaccinating if the capacity is there?

I was turned away from the (empty) vaccination centre this morning sadly. Although my role qualifies for the jab, because I'm directly employed by my school rather than the LA, they wouldn't do it.

Rules are rules, so I can't complain, but it's very worrying that the massive vaccination centre was empty and I was turned away. Surely there must another group they should be vaccinating if the capacity is there?

I am sure there will be plenty of people going through over the course of the day and the weekends have tended to be a bit quieter if you look at the data anyway. They have just announced even more ambitious targets so I don’t see the cause for concern.

Seems odd, even though no customers were there, perhaps they were expected and they didn't have any spares?

Seems odd, even though no customers were there, perhaps they were expected and they didn't have any spares?
Well I was expected, but not technically entitled. But in the 5-10 mins I was there and they checked up the chain of command to decide I couldn't get it, not a single other person came in. There were 12 receptionist people sat there waiting for punters!

I'm not bothered that I didn't get it as I wasn't allowed under government guidance, and I'd be horrified if I thought I'd be taking a dose from someone who needed it much more than low-risk me, but it's a little worrying that there were clearly doses available and slots available and they're not being filled.

The government is doing an incredible job rolling these out, but I think they could really be wiping the floor with it based on what I experienced this morning.

I am sure there will be plenty of people going through over the course of the day and the weekends have tended to be a bit quieter if you look at the data anyway. They have just announced even more ambitious targets so I don’t see the cause for concern.

Andy Burnham was saying the other day that their mass vaccination centers in Manchester have only been half full for a while now.

Apparently because we're currently doing the older generation who much prefer to go through their local GP's. And since they have the option of one or the other ...

I think it's depends on your region though, up here in the North East our centers in Newcastle aren't having a problem filling slots at all.

Well I was expected, but not technically entitled. But in the 5-10 mins I was there and they checked up the chain of command to decide I couldn't get it, not a single other person came in. There were 12 receptionist people sat there waiting for punters!

I'm not bothered that I didn't get it as I wasn't allowed under government guidance, and I'd be horrified if I thought I'd be taking a dose from someone who needed it much more than low-risk me, but it's a little worrying that there were clearly doses available and slots available and they're not being filled.

The government is doing an incredible job rolling these out, but I think they could really be wiping the floor with it based on what I experienced this morning.
It was a bit like that on Friday at the GP Surgery, two volunteers in the Car Park directing me to go round the back, a line of empty chairs, someone sat at a desk processing forms and two vaccineers waving at me"me, me, pick me, pick me". Only other person I saw was a young lanky lad (presumably a client) who walked within a foot of me on the way out :facepalm:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom